Question About Old Marble Cullet?

How do you think a marble made from old cullet should be classified? Should it be called an old marble? Should it be called a new contemporary marble? Or simply a cullet marble? I'm assuming that we have marble cullet that isn't very old and we have cullet that is well over 100 years old. What do you think? ----Leroy----P.S. I have cullet marbles that I have made from both old and new cullet including some that look a lot like the one posted in another thread. I have given a lot of them away to various collectors.

They're sorta unclassifiable. I think you just have to spell it out the long-way for identification assuming you even know. Like new cullet that has the appearance of old cullet would create quite the challenge without any corroborating provenance. Heck, I don't know! David Chamberlain

A cullet marble is just that. Nothing more or less. In many cases you can identify which manufacturer's cullet it was if you have handled a fair amount of cullet. IMO when the cullet was ground-down doesn't factor into the issue. There is no way to tell and in the end analysis it doesn't matter.

The fact that recently someone is trying to pass off ground cullet marbles as vintage is a sad commentary. Carefully worded sales descriptions don't forgive the sin.

All of my cullet marbles have been machine made. By that I mean the cullet was slabbed by a motor operated saw. Than cut into hexagon shape and than semi rounded by a diamond arbor that is operated by a motor. After that I put them into one of my three headed Sphere machines and took them through a three step process. The end results are very nice cullet marbles. I can't say that they are handmade nor can I say that they are machine made in the sense that we understand "machine made" marbles. So as a result I call them such things as Akro or Peltier cullet marbles or whose ever cullet was used and I have quite a list of marbles made by various cullet with none made from modern cullet. To each his own----Leroy----

Yes,the handmade/machine made thing is a differant animal from traditional marble making.

I would think,machine made useing your method.If you did it by hand on the end of a rod,with some dopping wax,diamond bronze wheel,finishing with silicone carbide,all by hand on the stick,I would say handmade then.

The one I make,Ill sign with my initial,"G",and then the initial of the company,with the year it was made.

Just trying to give you some ideas,,,,,,

Griff

Very good point Sami. That's more or less what I've been looking for, thanks. Isn't it funny the simplest things are looking us right in the eye and sometimes we can't see it (meaning myself). From now on my cullet marbles will be labeled "machine cut" instead of machine made. To each his own. Thanks----Leroy----