American Snowflakes?

One new subscriber gets you a nice lot of marbles. Anyone know what an American Snowflake was?

p.s., I know that Snow Flake was a name for Mica marbles, but those would be European, right?

1919_01_26_MFCMibsForNewSubscriber_.jpg

I'm not quite seeing a 1919 era American snowflake candidate in the glossary. Do you think they were the snowflake obsidian marbles?

I wondered if it could be a mistake and some German marbles got labeled American. But how likely was that going to be in January of 1919?

Gary, they wouldn't have been MK's or cat's eyes because of the timeline. 1919 was too early.

January 1919 could make those the very last of MFC's old stock. MFC quit making marbles in 1917 but still had old inventory to sell through 1918. And of course Akro was making marbles at the time.

Could American snowflakes have been white slags?

Edna, those look like Bogards, to me.

I agree with you and sent her a PM asking for more pics...especially the one on the left...even wondered if it was possibly one of the bogard "onion skins"...any thoughts?...trying to run down some pics of the "onion skins" since the only one s I have are i n the Mountaineer package and are not easily seen.

David's Bogard article: C.E. Bogard & Sons Cats Eye Marbles

A couple of pix from there for quick ref:

bogard16py.jpgBogard_Chamberlain_mm1115.jpg

The base in David's black ones seems a little blue. Don't know if that's reflection or shadow or the glass. Here's a pic Galen posted with less tinted bases on the black.

post-279-1227116716.jpg

p.s., amber is also a possibility in Bogard bases.

OK, I'm home from the Waller 4th of July celebration. We are skipping the fireworks, been in the 103 degree temps all day. I've looked at the marbles again and they are definitely 4 vane cateyes. I bought them from Bud Cloven and I haven't known him to miss many ID's. In fact, I don't know of any he's missed. he said Vitro Agate. I'm questioning vitro or MK. Pics to follow showing the 4 vanes and one white stripe on the side of each one. Edna