Marble Id Please

red-eyes

Bob Block's Marbles: Identification & Price Guide has some errors but it's pretty handy in general.

That said, I can't think of any one book which covers everything I wanted to know as a newbie.

Posting mibs on the boards is really a great way to go if you have a halfway decent camera. If not, of course that is its own brand of frustration.

For hand-mades I think the best is Paul Baumann's "Collecting Antique Marbles." And I agree with modularforms about Block's book -- some of the examples are not the greatest, but it was really useful to me too in the beginning, and I still turn to it now and then -- for machine-mades, anyway. There's a book called "Popular American Marbles" (Johnson, Six, etc.) but don't spend your money on that one. The photos are lousy and there's a heavy reliance on their earlier (and much better) book that deals mostly with manufacturers and packaging. Unfortunately, there's not really ONE book that does for machine-mades what Baumann's does for the handmades -- yet!

Identifying marbles accurately from books without supporting experience usually results in substantial mis-identification. The reason for this is that novices see a dizzying array of marbles in the book that look alike, look similar, aren't pictured etc etc etc and ultimately make a "best guess" based upon colors. A marble photo in a book show less than 25% of the marble's features. And there are far too many marble types for even a couple of books to represent. So while a book may seem to be a fairly quick and easy ID method - they really aren't.

There are nuances of pattern, cut lines, transparency, color and many other aspects that take experience to use to reach an accurate conclusion. Even among seasoned collectors - identification of some types poses challenges due to similarities between manufacturer's machines and glass formulas.

Nothing is a substitute for identifying a marble with it in hand. That is why learning at shows in the presence of experienced collectors cannot be equalled by books or photos on the internet.

I encourage to find a show near where you live and to plan to attend. There is a wealth of experience and the opportunity to accurately ID what you have.

Thanks much for your replies- I appreciate the help! I've been collecting about 2 years, I went to my first couple shows this year, & I do have one of Block's books.

I don't know anyone that lives anywhere near me, and I simply can't bring this quantity of "mystery marbles" to a show, so it sounds like I'll have to start posting photos.

Thanks to All! :)

R-E

What general area do you live in - many of us have contacts all over the US - maybe we can put someone in touch with you? Also, when it comes to marble ID in books, the vast majority shown are ones that have a little bit of value to them (or a lot) but 95% of the marbles that you find in the wild are 'common' and you don't find them in the books.