New Camera

Kingfisher

Good question... I'm in the same boat. My old Olympus is 3x the size of the newer cameras and it's mis-behaving... I was hoping to keep it in the $250 range... I've been using my son's Canon Powershot A510 (I think, at 5 years old, this one is also obsolete... I can't find any for sale)

The macro on it seems to work pretty well...

Hi Kevin,

And thanks for the reply... Sony Cyber Shot is kind of vague... Any particular camera???

I found a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX1 for $450, is it an over kill or what???

Sorry Gene, look for a t70 or t100 touch screen, i promise you will love it, easy to use and i get great mib pics. If i'm not mistaken, Ric also bought one and i really don't need to say anything but look at his pics..

Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. Basically, its a big camera that you can use interchangable lenses on.

My link

basically, the user has full control over everything and the ability to buy specialized lenses for different tasks.

Thank-You for the info Catfish...

Is all that really necessary??? It sounds like a professionals camera... In fact aren't most of us novices???

Of course its not necessary. If you read my first post, it says that any point and shoot with a macro mode will take great marble photos. Then I went on to say that I used a point and shoot for marble photos until I got my first DSLR.

I bet that Panasonic takes pretty good pics for its price. Not so sure Leica (the lens manufacturer) is any better than other manufacturers these days, but years back, they were the cream of the crop. Of course technology has marched on and other manufacturers have caught up. I personally feel that Point and shoot manufactures enlist lens makers such as Leica and Zeiss for their very lond standing reputation for fantastic optics as a marketing gimik. Sure, they are great, but so are Nikon's and Canon's lenses. Could the average person tell which lens took which picture? Not a chance. Kinda like my Dodge truck with its factory stereo with "Infinity" speakers. Infinity is known for great audio equipment, but the mass produced crap in the doors of my truck sounds no different then the 20 dollar pair at Wally World. LOL

IMHO, there will be very, very little difference between Macro capabilities in the different point and shoot cameras. Will there be exceptions? Sure. Am I going to wade through 100's of camera reviews?....NOPE. LOL I would suggest throwing a regular 'ol marble in your pocket and heading down to Best Buy or where ever and shoot some pics with the sales representative at the store.

Great deal this weekFrys specialcamera has great macro

camera

I have been doing some real wrenching over this camera... Seems like a super deal, however... After a little searching, I have discovered that it has 2 major short commings... First is it has a short battery life (AA batteries) and second is it has no view finder...

Come on gang what do you think about it???

I spoke with a guy Friday that bought one not long ago. He allready owns Canon DSLR's and pro lenses, but wanted a smaller take everywhere camera. He took it to a Bears game and said it was just great... he loves it. On the other hand he didn't say anything about the macro mode.... I personally wouldn't worry about the battery situation or the fact that it doesn't have a view finder.

Bob

I spoke with a guy Friday that bought one not long ago. He allready owns Canon DSLR's and pro lenses, but wanted a smaller take everywhere camera. He took it to a Bears game and said it was just great... he loves it. On the other hand he didn't say anything about the macro mode.... I personally wouldn't worry about the battery situation or the fact that it doesn't have a view finder.

Bob

I'll go for it... Thanks Bob and all...

I might do it, too...

My current camera takes 4 AA batteries... I keep 8 rechargeables... It can be a pain, especially when a kid sneaks in and takes two... So, keeping just 4 charged would be a lot easier!!

One thing that really saves battery life is a card reader. Removing the card from the camera for download is a lot less hassle than hooking the camera up and keeps the batteries running a lot longer

I don't think I've EVER used the view finder on my digital camera!! LOL

Abe's of Maine has a deal on these, too... I'm bettin' they are slated for discontinue.

I'm expecting at some point soon, the memory cards will be updated and prices will go up (If they haven't already) I like the fact that this one has a card that will work with my SanDisk card reader... I've had that long enough to be near the obsolete point!! (note the slashed price!!)

Another thing I like about this camera is the fact that it's black!! A lot of camera models are available in several colors... Some even cost more because of a popular color...

OK, I admit, having a "color-cool" camera would be nice... But, in close-up reflective pictures, I'd rather have a black camera...