New Camera

Kingfisher

I might do it, too...

My current camera takes 4 AA batteries... I keep 8 rechargeables... It can be a pain, especially when a kid sneaks in and takes two... So, keeping just 4 charged would be a lot easier!!

One thing that really saves battery life is a card reader. Removing the card from the camera for download is a lot less hassle than hooking the camera up and keeps the batteries running a lot longer

I don't think I've EVER used the view finder on my digital camera!! LOL

Abe's of Maine has a deal on these, too... I'm bettin' they are slated for discontinue.

I'm expecting at some point soon, the memory cards will be updated and prices will go up (If they haven't already) I like the fact that this one has a card that will work with my SanDisk card reader... I've had that long enough to be near the obsolete point!! (note the slashed price!!)

Another thing I like about this camera is the fact that it's black!! A lot of camera models are available in several colors... Some even cost more because of a popular color...

OK, I admit, having a "color-cool" camera would be nice... But, in close-up reflective pictures, I'd rather have a black camera...

This camera uses only 2 AA size alkaline batteries or 2 Cannon AA-size NiMH (rechargeables) according to the manual, the NiMH have a longer life then the alkaline's do...

And not using the zoom feature for close ups(just get the camera close on Macro)

I'll second that comment.... The size of my pics right from the camera is 1600 x 1200 pxl.. If I want to keep the picture as it is, I blur it before resizing to the size I usually use (for ebay) 400 x 300... That way, I don't get the funny ziggy lines in fabric or straight edges...

But, for a macro shot, if I take it well focused on macro, without a zoom, leave it sharp and crop it from 1600 x 1200 to the smaller size, it usually comes out perfect.

good lighting and Using the Custom White Balance will help get very accurate colors. And not using the zoom feature for close ups(just get the camera close on Macro) Is some advice I can offer. Also a tripod will help if you are shaky(LOL)

I can't even find the word Macro in the user manual, might it be called something else??? I have not fired the camera up yet, but the modes in the users manual don't mention Macro either...I do have and use a tripod...

I'll second that comment.... The size of my pics right from the camera is 1600 x 1200 pxl.. If I want to keep the picture as it is, I blur it before resizing to the size I usually use (for ebay) 400 x 300... That way, I don't get the funny ziggy lines in fabric or straight edges...

But, for a macro shot, if I take it well focused on macro, without a zoom, leave it sharp and crop it from 1600 x 1200 to the smaller size, it usually comes out perfect.

Hi Sue, give me a few days to get used to this thing... Then I will need your technical wisdom... Right now I'm trying to build up enough nerve to get started with it...

I spoke with a guy Friday that bought one not long ago. He allready owns Canon DSLR's and pro lenses, but wanted a smaller take everywhere camera. He took it to a Bears game and said it was just great... he loves it. On the other hand he didn't say anything about the macro mode.... I personally wouldn't worry about the battery situation or the fact that it doesn't have a view finder.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to say that your "Kingfisher" is awsome... One of my favorites...

Hi Sue, give me a few days to get used to this thing... Then I will need your technical wisdom...

ROFL... I don't think I'd go so far as to call it "Technical Wisdom!!" I've learned a few things by trial & error... I was never very good at reading manuals, so that wisdom is limited to the stuff I use regularly... Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless!!

Look for the little flower. It is at 9;00 on the toggle ring on the back of the camera. It says MF directly under it.

Got it Galen, yes there is an MF under the flower... I think this would be better if you talk me through it... I will message you...