Orange Handgathered Brick? Akro?

Hello everyone,

I know MFC didnt make orange bricks, but yesterday this was found in the wild, completely opaque with a glorious nine and tail and the signature MFC cut off mark. Could it be an eary akro that is handgathered? a little over 5/8 shown next to an orange slag and a brick. Extremely difficult to photograph! You could see the pattern better with less light.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated,

Craig

post-2120-126253308358_thumb.jpg

post-2120-126253309117_thumb.jpg

post-2120-126253309849_thumb.jpg

post-2120-126253310676_thumb.jpg

very good possibility on that marble. akro started

out with people and techniques from m.f.c. it has all the marks of m.f. ... i consider this one of mine an early, handgathered example. albeit the " 9". but .. har .. i've heard, never seen, that m.f.c. ... did have orange ... har. also a clear base with the 9 and tail. bill

post-75-126253403192_thumb.jpg

post-75-126253410226_thumb.jpg

sorry, I used "brick" to get some attention, there is no oxblood in it :) and opaque because absolutely no light gets through, what appears to be areas of clear are actually red and there are also shades of yellow mixed in, hard to photo. the posterior pole or last pic appears to have clear in it but does not; much like the brick in the first picture appears to have depth.

Hello everyone,

I know MFC didnt make orange bricks, but yesterday this was found in the wild, completely opaque with a glorious nine and tail and the signature MFC cut off mark. Could it be an eary akro that is handgathered? a little over 5/8 shown next to an orange slag and a brick. Extremely difficult to photograph! You could see the pattern better with less light.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated,

Craig

i've seen that color, i got them with some Mexican marbles. Vega or something? really i did. mine are packed or i'd show you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I had an orange marble like the posted one and had Les Jones give me an opinion. It too was (almost) opaque. He said it was a MFC orange slag. Alas, I sold it. However, keep in mind (again, wisdom from Les) that the early Akro slags were handgathered as well. So it may be hard for you to be absolutely certain of maker.