California Sulphides

Thanks Galen. This thread was about California sulphides. I guess it wasn't too much of a stretch to bring Hansel's sulphides up again, but I really wonder if anyone who talks about the maker being left holding the bag on them has this story from maker.

I heard something different.

Lotsa hearsay. It's an interesting topic. I do wish we could talk about it without villainizing Hansel.

Actually the only reason that ID info was provided on those comic boxes was because Peltier went after the instigator and made him put it on there. It is not a great stretch to jump to bona fide frauds when a marble(California Sulphides) is being questioned especially when the bona fide fraud is also a sulphide. David

After I posted my thanks to David, I was wondering why the California Sulphide incident was SOOOO dreadfully tragic and tramatic...

I think I've come up with an answer....

Whenever any underhanded incident comes up, the comment is often made, "Too bad this has to happen to something as innocent as collecting a toy..."

For the newer collectors (within the past ???? 15? 20? years??) One of the first things you hear / learn is.... BE CAREFUL!!!!

The whole deal about fakes and frauds is impressed upon you from the "get-go."

It wasn't always that way... The older collectors enjoyed a long stretch of time where you could have faith and wonder in everything you came across.... Well.... MOST everything. Sure, there was some polishing of the bigger, more desirable marbles... But, it wasn't too common, cuz the cost didn't balance the value...

If we found a definite "Home-made" job, we could have faith in saying, "Wow, somebody made that for a kid...Isn't it cool!!"

There were no cloaks and daggers... It really WAS an innocent hobby.

Then, little infractions started happening... Skirmish incidents, here & there.... They weren't pretty and they planted the seed of doubt.

Still... They were isolated and didn't do too much damage.

Then, the BOMB hit.... The California Sulphides were the ultimate rape... The final, TOTAL loss of innocence in this hobby...

Just about every single major dealer and most respected "experts" were effected... It was our first "World War." It caste doubt on EVERYTHING and created rifts between friends that could never be repaired.....

Life would never be the same again....