Graduated Christiansens?

SORRY! I spelled Christensen wrong in title. Can't edit title.

I have been wondering about these 12 marbles for a long time. They have identical colors - Bright very white base glass, bright orange outer color, bright yellows in the center of the orange, and very thin dark lines in the yellow.

They graduate in size from 5/8" down to 1/2". However using a template, when using the correct hole of course, they don't always fit as they should. One will fit as it should but the next one, in the same hole, leaves a gap. It's almost as if they graduate by the very smallest of increments.

Top row right to left: 5/8", 19/32", 19/32" gap, 19/32" gap, 9/16"

2nd row right to left: 9/16" gap, 17/32", 17/32" gap, 17/32" gap, 1/2"

3rd row left to right: 1/2" gap, 1/2" gap

Does my description make sense? Could this set of 12 come from a salesman's case or something? Maybe I drink too much coffee.

Thanks! PS_ forgot to add that they have an opaque base.

post-35-127248956263_thumb.jpg

post-35-127248958608_thumb.jpg

Quantities of a particular marble does not denote Salesman's Sample Box possibilities unfortunately. Just means you've got a lot but it's cool because you have the opportunity to see how the particular variety varies from marble to marble. There's always a plus side when it comes to marbles.

I got a kick out of your sizing. David

Thanks Galen- I'll take them to the show. My pics are way off color. They are real sweet in hand and after handling all the marbles I have handled in the past 2 months, I can tell that they are a step above most.

What about my original question about sizes?

Those 12 marbles are pretty cool. And although they aren't familiar to me, I'm not getting a CAC vibe from them either.

And FWIW, I still like to refer to size by the numbering system, even though I often don't since some find it confusing. It makes more sense to me to say a marble is a No. 3, for instance, since that covers marbles from 3/4"+ (e.g., 49/64") to 13/16 (52/64"). It almost seems silly to me to refer to marbles by 1/64" or even 1/32" increments, since I'm pretty sure the producers didn't have tight enough control over their processes to ensure such exact sizing of their production. If they did, they probably wouldn't have needed equipment to sort by size in the first place.

Does anyone know of a case where a size difference of less than 1/16" had a significant effect on the value of otherwise identical marbles (e.g., 37/64" vs 5/8" or 41/64" vs 11/16")?

Does anyone know of a case where a size difference of less than 1/16" had a significant effect on the value of otherwise identical marbles (e.g., 37/64" vs 5/8" or 41/64" vs 11/16")?

Peewees & parrots?

This is interesting. I never locked into the numbering system early on and straight out of the shoot visualized marbles in fractions of an inch so I've developed a second nature feeling for increments of 1/32" at least 'cause it is a considerable size difference if a 5/8" marble is 1/32" above or below 5/8". I can't do it all the time but most of the time I can come within 1/32" in determining a marble's size and it matters. Boy does it matter! Of course pee wees but in so many other cases because anything out of 'standard' shows and you can be sure someone will give that marble an $add-on$. One of my most unusual cat's-eye marbles and I had it in qty. because it was like all the others in a true Chinese Checker set literally made in China with Chinese instructions was a little larger than 5/8" which made them appear to be enormous. You can see pictures of this set in my CAT'S-EYE SERIES Photo #16 in the back pages at Marble Mental. All of them simple one color 3 vane but very tight vanes almost banana-like. Never seen a Chinese Checker set other than this one with marbles this size and it definitely added to the value of the set. Incidentally I gave the set to Mike Johnson as a gift a while back. I could go on but I think you get my idea. Size counts! Where have I heard that before? David