Peltier And 'the Men From The Boys'

I know this topic has created some heated debates in the past but I am gonna cautiously bring it up here again, if I may.

I have a 27/32 Pelt Superman/Superboy depending on which side you are viewing. It is the normal baby blue base with the bright yellow, red, and orange.

So here's my question: Is it a Superman as long as there is one true pure red ribbon with the rest of the red ribbons being the orange blend? Or does the presence of any blending of the red ribbons whatsoever knock it back to a Superboy?

Thanks! :cool-smileys-262:

:jumping-1020:

I'm not sure about this. I would think that everything else being equal you could righteously call it a Superman. Then depending on the degree of orange tinting of the 'other' red ribbons a person considering the marble would make qualified judgements. As long as you've got three solid areas of the basic Superman colors I'd call it a Go but a qualified one if after those basics it tends to diminish elsewhere. I'm not etching these statements in glass! Maybe what you'd have is a Hybrid Superman rather than a Superboy. These are murky waters. David

Thanks! Sounds perfect.

Now if the red ribbons outnumber the orange ribbons instead of the other way around then it is called a Hybrid Superman?

I think I am finally seeing what some were trying to say in a thread last year. I for one really like the combo of all the blends much more than the three bold Superman colors all on their own. I'm just gonna call 'em by their correct names from now on and extend my apologies to the hard-core purists from last year's thread. :music-rocker-001:

Aside from the blurriness that's a pretty respectable marble whatever it is. As for a 'hybrid' designation I think I'd initially stick with the name that had the predominance of colors particular to its status and then affix hybrid if variations occur. How's that for being slippery? David

Just when they win me over to the other side...lol

That was part of my arguement way back then. I have now come to realize just how strict the order is in these high end pelts. The one funny answer I seem to remember was that if it is your marble you can call it whatever you wish. That didn't wash with me then, and still doesn't.

I really hate for this to get started again since we are :deadhorse:

This mib is different than the one before which was a blue base with yellow and red yel orange blend for the red ribbons. in other words there were no pure red ribbons. Not one. Well this one has only one but it does have one.

Maybe this could be presented in a different fashion. What is the lowest common denominator for a Superboy? Is it not simply a baby blue base with ribbons of blended red and yellow?

So now add pure yellow and pure red. And the result? Still a Superboy! Or rather a hybrid Superboy. Maybe I am still on the fence a little. But that is only because I am pretty new to this hobby as in less than ten years, and I'm still trying to listen to the pro's.

:character-smileys-238:

I love the way you think m!b$.

It seems so cut and dry that way.

I'll try to put it another way. Imagine all the blended ribbons gone.

What's left? A big fat Superman. :cool-smileys-262: lol

One more thing. I wanted to admit that I personally agree that the one side of this mib is pretty weak in the action dept. Especially compared to the other half of the mib. So maybe there is something to the Hybrid Superboy theory, and how someone might think that way.

I'm gonna fall off this fence. lol

When it comes to marbles, I'm strictly a follower. I would NEVER presume to do any of my own thinking! I leave that to the experts. And a few years ago, on this very forum, I asked about this marble, thinking it might only be a Superboy, not a Superman, but I was assured that it was a Superman. Yet, it has only one pure unadulterated yellow ribbon. So now it has been demoted in rank? I swear I can't keep up with all the rules and changes...

Maybe someone can find that old thread. I probably posted under another name back then.

I said two ribbons as typically 3 color NLRs having one base color, 2 ribbons with second color and 4 ribbons with the third color. Mibs' marble would also be a Superman although there is a single yellow ribbon and rest are blended. Very nice example by the way.

Sami