Old Or New? Help With Identifying

Wilmena

Hi,

I have two marbles and I just don't know what they are. The first one has a matte finish. It's not glass. There are no pontil marks and it is not signed. It measures 7/8". post-2804-128650842489_thumb.jpg

The second one also has no pontil marks and no signature. This one isn't glass either and it has a glossy finish. It has crackling throughout the middle band. It measures 1 1/4".

post-2804-128650859735_thumb.jpg

I don't know if these are modern marbles or older ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

They look new to me. They have made new ones with the supposed to be age crackling to try and make it look old. I am sure there are those here that can tell you more than I, on these types.

Nice pics BTW!!

Thanks, and thank goodness for digital cameras.

Your second marble is made by Tom Thornburgh. He lives in Huntington, West Virginia. I've never seen one like your first, but I think it's also a Thornburgh. Look close at them for sort of "pin pricks". They are caused by the stilts the marbles are placed on for kiln firing.

I was thinking Thom on the second, too... I love his work!!! I wish he'd sign them!! That one is GREAT!!!

He's very good about keeping them distant enough from the old ones to avoid confusion. But, as other artists come along, his work ends up being questioned like this. It's too good for that!!

His name, signature and marbles should be known!!

If you run into a similar marble with the sig. "N.M." it would be a Nadine MacDonald (she also often, added a date)

The first could also be Thom's... But, I tend to lean towards the polymer clay (FIMO!! LOL)

Galen, I think there are some PC artists that add the clay over a cleary to give it weight.

I was thinking Thom on the second, too... I love his work!!! I wish he'd sign them!! That one is GREAT!!!

He's very good about keeping them distant enough from the old ones to avoid confusion. But, as other artists come along, his work ends up being questioned like this. It's too good for that!!

His name, signature and marbles should be known!!

If you run into a similar marble with the sig. "N.M." it would be a Nadine MacDonald (she also often, added a date)

The first could also be Thom's... But, I tend to lean towards the polymer clay (FIMO!! LOL)

Galen, I think there are some PC artists that add the clay over a cleary to give it weight.

You folks are wonderful!

I can't find any pin prick marks on it. It has an overall grainy feel to it. post-2804-128655196786_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have two marbles and I just don't know what they are. The first one has a matte finish. It's not glass. There are no pontil marks and it is not signed. It measures 7/8". post-2804-128650842489_thumb.jpg

The second one also has no pontil marks and no signature. This one isn't glass either and it has a glossy finish. It has crackling throughout the middle band. It measures 1 1/4".

post-2804-128650859735_thumb.jpg

I don't know if these are modern marbles or older ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey....one way you can tell these are newer is by the color pallets. Look at photos of old chinas and scenic marbles. (Because these are not glass) Without touching them I can't tell, but the blue and green one could even by the baked sculpey clay like I use with children at school when we are making Kindness Marbles.