Jabo Observation & Question

m!b$

One reason is that white base glass was used in a lot of them.

Sorry i answered. i don't have all the answers. Thought others would post different observations. Mibs, you shouldn't ask if lf you're going to criticize honest answers. Yes, a lot of the Joker marbles had a white base. Don't think any Tributes had white base glass until the one inch and it was mixed until all the marbles were yellow or blue. Buy what appeals to you. Nobody twists your arm.

I was offering some constructive criticism that I think deserves a better answer than that.

Sorry, but I still don't like the experimental Jabos well enough to buy any of them.

Most of the Jabos I see on ebay aren't going for much. Seems alot of other people agree with me.

I haven't seen many representatives of the most recent Jabos. However, I like white. I like the contrast it can give. Did the original Jokers have white? I liked the contrast on those. Made me think of classic mibs such as Peltiers.

I remember suggesting to Steve more than once that I'd like to see more marbles with a white base. Back in 2008, was it? Among the Jabos I own I think I like the transparent based ones the best, but I don't have many white ones to compare to. Now you have me wanting to see the recent Jabos. Off I go to ebay. I've been avoiding that place. Give me strength not to buy. ( :

I like white when it is used sparingly and mainly as an accent color.

Here is a white-based Jabo that I like, but there is only one view and the seller isn't trustworthy, so my bid was low. Other people liked it too, obviously. The description doesn't say it is 1", but I'm guessing it is.

White-based Jabo

Here's a seller that sells lots of the new Jabos:

Jabos

I was offering some constructive criticism that I think deserves a better answer than that.

Although you may not find it satisfactory, what sissydear said IS the answer. The base glass is obviously the foundation color for the marble, and white is a common foundation color, for obvious reasons -- color laid over white will be truer than color laid over blue, or yellow, or any other base color, and if it's not overlaid but swirled in with white, white provides a high contrast that many people find appealing.

Innumerable color combinations, with and without white, have come out of the Jabo runs sponsored by patrons. For the most part, color choices and combinations have been at the discretion of the patrons of the run, within the constraints of what is possible with the materials at hand and the glass knowledge of Dave McCullough. Some runs have produced some genuinely spectacular single marbles, as well as beautiful "famlies" or types.

I'm sorry you haven't seen any.

My observation/question was that since some Jabos can be made without white showing, why can't most of them be made without white showing. I'm assuming Jabos are veneered colors over white, not colors that go through the marble. I wasn't saying that white wasn't a good base color...just cover it up so it doesn't show so much.

And if an apology is in order to sissydear, then I apologize. Her answer seemed so obvious that I took it as glib, or something.

I guess I'll never understand why the least criticism of Jabos always seems to be taken as a personal attack on the people associated with making them.

Besides, I like some Jabos and have quite a few of them. But only one of them is from the experimental runs.

Jabo marbles can be made without the white showing. It's a matter of preference.

I prefer to see some white. Many Jabo buyers request some white. As has been mentioned above, the striking colors

seem to be more vibrant when added to a white base.

All the Joker experimental marbles I have seen have the colors on the inside as

well as on the outside. Having been involved in choosing the base and the striking colors

for a majority of the Joker runs, and having been present for most of those productions, I have

seen hundreds of broken marbles.

I have worked closely with the above mentioned seller and for 10 years have found him

to be trustworthy.

Peace....Burt

Well then, I'll just finish getting this off my chest.

Mibs, you may have felt that "Why can't they keep the white out of all of them?" was constructive criticism, but it can also sound like the Jabo b....ing we are all too familiar with. Besides, not everyone is white-averse when it comes to marbles. And if you didn't like what you were seeing with Jabo's special runs, and really cared, you could have had a say in them. Many people did just that.

I also took offense at your response to Edna. It sounded much more like a personal attack than a criticism of Jabo. If you'll reread it now, maybe you'll be able to see that.

And "What Burt and Edna said" about the marbles themselves. The colors go through and through. Some marbles in some of the runs are ALSO veneered on top of that. And sprayed with colored frit, or dusted with aventurine, and any number of other substances, "to see what would happen."

Maybe you just haven't seen enough examples of the investor runs. But I wouldn't worry about it. They're pretty much finished.

Don't ever buy anything you don't like.

:character-smileys-238:

ann

OK, I should have said that the seller's feedback led me to question his trustworthiness, and not that he is necessarily untrustworthy.

And I guess I WAS attacking the answer in post #2, but apparently I misunderstood the answer (probably still do).

At this point, my brain has shut down, as I have no real clue about the technicalities of how marbles are made.

It probably would have been better if I hadn't started this thread.

There's so many that are so close to being something I could start collecting...that's what's so frustrating.

This one has just about the right amount of white. What it needs is a little more black. (This stuff is all JMO, of course.)

One

Here's a nice one, but a little too much white.

Two

This one's pretty good, but is really just two views.

Three

Nice, but needs less white, and needs the blue more evenly distributed.

Four

Pretty nice, but is only two views.

Five

Maybe someone will show Dave this thread. (Haha, fat chance)

Well it's not Dave but it is David......I could easily send you on approval with no obligation to buy true Jabo facsimiles and premiere examples of the kind you see here with no white or white exceedingly diminished and from a variety of runs at decent prices. Today alone I sent to Canada 96 Jabo marbles from 9 different runs and I have Jabo examples from over 40 different runs. David

David,

What is a Jabo facsimile?

A facsimile is an exact copy of something. Not the real thing.

Why would anyone want to take the time to produce a fake Jabo?

Are you speaking of remelts? I have some beauties by Andy Davis.

Do you have pictures?

Just wondering.

Burt

No one's producing a fake Jabo Burt; just chock it up to a moderately excessive use of the word facsimile to basically say that I have examples that for all intent and purposes will easily substitute for the marbles that m!b$ is endeavoring to acquire without the overwhelming presence of the dreaded white color. You're maybe taking me too seriously here. And if I'm somehow stepping on your Jabo sales territory in suggesting this I apologize. Incidentally I have a variety of Andy's marbles as well as his brothers and the rest of the family. Been buying Davis marbles since Jim first arrived at Amana and the Ohio show in the mid-1990s. David