Identification Help For Handmade

Swissmarble

Hi

While I am at it, here is a strange marble I found in my collection. It is definately a handmade an it is obviously a Josephs Coat. But the strange thing is, that part of the marble (about 1/3) is totally clear. Looks like some kind of end of day, but as far as I know a typical end of day marble would have no colors at one end, wouldn't it :confused-smileys-17: ? This marble looks as if the maker made this marble like that on purpose.

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help.

Ron

post-2885-129362875193_thumb.jpg

post-2885-12936287612_thumb.jpg

post-2885-129362876903_thumb.jpg

post-2885-129362877709_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron. I moved it. It seemed more of a technical question, not so much an ID question. :)

Also, the ID forum mostly gets machine-made questions. I used to move all handmade marble questions over to here. Now I leave some but this seems a rather specialized topic so I moved it over.

More like getting towards the end of the cane, where some (but not all) of the colored rods have ended. I have a couple of joseph-coats that do the same thing. I like them -- somehow the contrast of the colorless transparent base punches up the colors, or something . . .

Ron, is one of the pontils (the third picture) ground?

Hi Dutch

pssssst, can you please enlighten me how a "ground pointil" look? :blush:

I know there are polished pointils (I can imagine how these look), faceted pointils (no idea) and probably other pointils, but I don't know the difference..... :blush: again.

Ron

This is probably the first marble off the cane. The colors have not yet moved enough to be where the maker wanted them. I have full canes of marbles by Bob Hamon and also by his nephew Boyd Allen Miller. The first off the cane isn't what the maker wanted. The second marble off will have the construction look the maker was going for. What you guys call end of day is not always the "end of day".

If the amount of glass, colored rods(noodles threads strings) layed out are not enough to completely cover the ball of glass on the end of the punty as it is rolled on the rods a clear window results. I would imagine every marble made from that glob after it was made into cane had a clear area. It is not that uncommon.

The hand made makers I've watched don't start with a ball of glass. They gather a glob of glass, marver it, it looks like a rectanglar piece of glass. They add colored rods, frit, lutz, crystal clear glass,etc. This involves many trips back to the glory hole and more clear glass gathers, then they twist the rectangular glass and it becomes a rod (rounded), It is then ready to make individual marbles. Some call the resulting rod of glass a cane and some call it a "stick". Many marbles can be made from the same cane, depending on the size you are making. My friends use cherrywood molds to shape the marble round. They work with soft glass. The two ends are never perfect and it is impossible to tell by looking at the finished marble whether it was the "first off" or the "last off". I only know because I saw which one came off first and last. Clear areas result more in the first and last. BUT, my friends cased the different stages of the marble with clear glass so there is always some clear showing in the "middle" marbles. Artists who work with "boro" use different techniques, take longer to make one marble, use more gas, more time and the resulting marble costs more than the old soft glass which can be turned out several at a time in a short time. That makes the boro marbles more expensive. The antiques you are looking at in this thread are made like what I described.

Hi here are two I bought as same cane there about 13/16 in size , and as you can see some are just made but never thrown out no mater how good or round . I remember once hearing that kids made the marbles whe at the glass shop wit dad child labor ?? any ways I like the orange in yours , just some pics to help with the thinking but I never think to much I just like . Mike

Josephs1904JPG.jpg...Josephs1903.jpg

Josephs1902.jpg...Josephs1901.jpg

Here are mine ...

not as wide of bands but have some banded core less with wide bands .

104.jpg...103.jpg

102.jpg...101.jpg

100.jpg....99.jpg

98.jpg...97.jpg

96.jpg

colors look the same??

I have some with wider bands but they are banded transparent or some call coreless swirls

I am not so sure you could call those same cane. The stripes aren't the same on each.

I did not think so also ?? When I bought then as a pair. Just thought I would let the thought of how things change down the cane as I bet they did not let the pulled stuff just fall to the ground or in a bucket of water . all the starts and ends I think are for sure different , not evenly spaced or may be even windows ??? just stuff I do and don't think about . When I bought the pair from an expert all I wanted was the one since thy were a pair the other not so nice was just free as far as I was. way to long ago to even remember the cost . enjoy the oddities MIKE

Hi Ron where did you find the marble ? what size is it ? never to many pics more might help . Mike

Hi Mike

I bought it on Ebay-Germany once. Was first disappointed because the "hole" was not on the pictures. But then I was quite pleased with it because it really looks different.

The size is just a hair under one inch.

Thanks.

Ron