Jabo Marbles Will There Value Increase In Years To Come ???

Hello to all I am new to the hobby and buy a lot of marbles on Ebay I love the JABO Marbles especially the new ones I was wondering if in ones opinion in the future if the Jabo's will ever appreciate in value like the antique marbles of today It seems that I have picked up just a bit on the hobby and as I cruise Ebay I see thousands upon thousands Jabo lots of older ones it seems not that it is important I honestly love the new Jabo marbles but just curious as some of them are 10.00 a piece or more Thanks, Ryan

Hard to say, but I personally wouldn't bet on it. The difference between the new Jabos and antique marbles being that the new Jabos were made then instantly put into collections. Antique marbles were not. They were played with, lost, thrown away...etc. Basically, in my opinion, Jabos were made by collectors for collectors and there are plenty to go around. Some of the exceptionally nice examples my fetch premiums later on. I have many of the different runs myself, but I did not buy them as an investment.

Yes,I think they are collectible,and will be collectible,as long as the hoddy of marble collecting is in existance.

What many people cant see,,,refering to the "jabo haters",is that Jabo has given more life to the hobby.Marble collecting was dying off,along with many of the collectors.It has sparked a flurry of new collectors,and this is what is needed to keep the hobby alive.

If you require an answer that refers to a dollar value,well,I think that is impossible to predict,on anything,,,except a rise in gas prices in the spring,and a rise in heating oil in the fall.(even that is unpredictable).

Griff

Considering the fact that they are totally worthless now due to incessant production in large numbers over and over again. They have only one way to go. That is to remain worthless. Why do people insist on keeping making them over and over again?

Ryan,

My suggestion here is by no means valid research or any indicator of value. However, just for grins you might want to try this and maybe you can glean a small grain of information. On any given day when you do a search for marbles on ebay, you will have 7,000 listings pop up. Next do Jabo marbles and you get 1,300. Jokers 500, Tribute, New Decade, WVMCC, Jinks, Daves Run, Lutz, Frit, Jabo Oxblood, pee wees, one inch, 3/4" and any other title or subset you can think of........just keep on going.

For a time, my children were into Beanie Babies, there was an inflated sense of rarity on some items and other items really were of low production. Some folks sunk plenty of money chasing new releases and other variations. I and my wife participated and sometimes paid way too much to keep the kid happy and get that next hard-to-find and so called rare toy. Today, I have three-four large plastic storage tubs of mint Beanies stuck in the attic. You can go to any flea market today and buy hundreds of these toys for pennies on the dollar. When I bought them for $5.00 each, I thought they were worth $5.00 so I have no regrets. I still think they are worth $5.00. In 20 years or so, if my kids hang on to the bins and they get grandchildren......can you imagine what a little child would think to be sitting in a mountain of those things. Now what is that worth? If they stay in the attic undiscovered for 100 years untouched and they do not deteriorate then what might they be worth. It could happen!

"Don't bet on it" is the best advice in this case, I think. It's a possibility, but it would be very unwise start buying them with the intent of turning a profit.

Here are a few factors to consider, though:

- As 0clv said, they're being produced in relatively huge numbers... especially given that they're only being distributed to a relatively small amount of people.

- The people who want the marbles are going to get them now. You'll have a hard time finding new buyers in the future.

- There are only a few people who get the marbles hot off the press right now, so there's kind of some price-gouging going on.

- There are lots of runs, some of which are more popular than others. Crystal Orbits might go up, while Joker-IVs might plummet.

- Because they're only in the hands of collectors, these marbles aren't going to have the same attrition rate as others (as Catfish pointed out). It's not like they'll all be lost and/or damaged 30 years from now.

These are great points to consider.

1. I also know the percentage of the marbles produces per population back in the day VERSES the same consideration today makes the amount of marbles produced buy Jabo VERSES all the other old machine marble making companies about the same (percentage wise in my opinion) so that is a push.

2. WE ALL need to get going on promoting marble collecting!!!!! Today's youth is the answer. We ALL need to get out there and do whatever it takes to get the young kids interested in marbles and collecting them in my opinion.

3. Price gouging????? I need more information please.

4. Same can be said about MK verses Vitro verses CA, etc.

5. I have to agree IF we all don't get more people (younger) involved.

I am totally enjoying this thread and I enjoy all of your input - thanks Ryan for starting it!!!

"Don't bet on it" is the best advice in this case, I think. It's a possibility, but it would be very unwise start buying them with the intent of turning a profit.

Here are a few factors to consider, though:

- As 0clv said, they're being produced in relatively huge numbers... especially given that they're only being distributed to a relatively small amount of people.

- The people who want the marbles are going to get them now. You'll have a hard time finding new buyers in the future.

- There are only a few people who get the marbles hot off the press right now, so there's kind of some price-gouging going on.

- There are lots of runs, some of which are more popular than others. Crystal Orbits might go up, while Joker-IVs might plummet.

- Because they're only in the hands of collectors, these marbles aren't going to have the same attrition rate as others (as Catfish pointed out). It's not like they'll all be lost and/or damaged 30 years from now.

Since you say too many have been produced,please tell us how many were produced? How many marbles per run? How many marbles per tank wash? What % broke ? What % have cold roll marks? What % are just plain ugly? What % have gone to children to be played with? Where is the farthest from the US that these marbles have been shipped? How many have been broken when used as the target marbles in games? How many are given by partners and/or JABO to folks for photography or other projects? This list of questions could go on for quite a while!

It is impossible to have price gouging on eBay. People bid or don't bid at any price depending on what they are willing to pay. Then when the marble is bought price equilibrium is set until the next similar marble trades.

I would like to hear this data of the analysis you are using. Without it, you have left yourself blowing in the breeze.Your argument sounds valid, but it is specious.

Attrition rates are actually much higher for JABO since there are so few. Here is a proof. Since inception JABO has made fewer that 80,000,00 marbles. Pelt in big years made 138,000, 000 per year. So if JABO made 3,000,000 experimentals in 1 year and Pelt made 138,000,000 and both companies had 100,000 lost, broken, "slingshotted", cold rolled, etc. then JABO's attrition rate would be significantly higher.

Many folks give them to kids and friends. Edna had the marble tree and so it goes.

These marbles like the CAC exotics will continue to be collected for one and only one reason....their beauty. If folks think them pretty, they will be bought and collected. If they are unattractive, they won't be collected.

Marbles are a hobby, not an investment.

If you like any marbles, buy them. If you don't like any marbles, don't buy them. It is that simple.

The little hard data that is out there suggests you are wrong. Look at the #1 marble search by company on eBay. How many fee $ are driven through eBay? how many fee $are driven through PayPal?

This is a very interesting thread. I hope many contribute with facts.

"What % have gone to children to be played with? Where is the farthest from the US that these marbles have been shipped?"

Speaking for myself only, I pass Jabos out to kids (and adults) I see in my psychology practice, and many of the kids my wife sees knock on my door after their sessions to ask me for a marble. I've seen them roll them down the stairs as they leave the building.

Also, my office is in a medium sized building, & I put marbles on the tables in the lobby as a kind of "catch and release" program. Some days I have to replenish them several times.

I've sent small bags of them (20 or so) to friends in Korea and Japan. And I bagged up most of a case of them as party favors for my daughter's wedding a year ago. My wife still complains about the boxes in the garage (& family room, & living room, & bedroom).

I think just the fact there are many many boxes of them in family rooms living rooms bedrooms basements and garages across the country would keep me from betting on their value increasing. Although good marketing can have some surprising results.

Man! That last post was right on the money. There are probably plenty of cases laying all around many peoples houses, barns, garages and the rest. I have quite a few myself. Most of them date from 1999-2003. Sure wish I would have been smart enough to buy ten times more cases of Tie Dyes, Harleys, Peacocks, Bloody Jades, Jabo Superman and all the rest of them worthless flea-bit, full of hit marks and defective Jabo marbles when they used to sell for $10-$15.00 per twenty-five pound case of 2,500 marbles. My advice is do not ever stockpile anything like Jabos. The market is so flooded with them that it pisses vintage collectors off that people like them and want to buy them for a fraction of what a really good vintage marble is worth. I found out about Jabo many years ago and thought that why would I spend hundreds on a rare vintage and coveted marble when I could get neat and sometimes limited-production Jabo marbles for less than a penny! Special Run Jabo marbles are very expensive by today's standards (.50 Cents to a few dollars for really good glass and a multitude of colors) don't buy them! Wait until folks tire of the flooded market and dump them below cost. That is when you want to buy them. Folks need to time the market.....just like they do in the stock market......What say you?

It seems there are mixed feelings here I was just curious wanted to know what a seasoned collectors thoughts were Thanks for all the replies as Mike said the value of one of our grandchildren looking through our collections is quite valuable in itself and I think Jabo has some really cool marbles well I guess they seem to have a great deal of color and variety of color well Thanks again take care, Ryan

"What % have gone to children to be played with? Where is the farthest from the US that these marbles have been shipped?"

Speaking for myself only, I pass Jabos out to kids (and adults) I see in my psychology practice, and many of the kids my wife sees knock on my door after their sessions to ask me for a marble. I've seen them roll them down the stairs as they leave the building.

Also, my office is in a medium sized building, & I put marbles on the tables in the lobby as a kind of "catch and release" program. Some days I have to replenish them several times.

I've sent small bags of them (20 or so) to friends in Korea and Japan. And I bagged up most of a case of them as party favors for my daughter's wedding a year ago. My wife still complains about the boxes in the garage (& family room, & living room, & bedroom).

Thats too funny I myself have not been collecting long but I have also a few boxes that I catch hell for whats really funny is there so heavy only I can move them.

My Guess would be No. At least not

untill most are hauled to land fills.

Shot away in sling shots or busted in half

playing chase ums on a concrete play ground.

Three years ago I fell for the get them quick,

before they fall off the face of the planet.

I purchased 35 Jabo Jokers 1 plus a nice Jokers 1 box.

For the low, low, price of $300.00.

I recently tried to just get my investment back??

Only to find out that the price had gone from $10.00 to $100.00ea.

For some of the special runs. To the LOW, LOW, price of $1.00 to

maybe $4.00 tops.

It sucks to think that one could just break even after 3

years & can't come close.

Jabo's as an investment? I say for some. Not for me.

When you lose $265.00 in 3 years. It's not a good sign..

Just from my experience anyway.

marblemiser

JABOJOKERS.bmp

I share MARBLEMISER’s views and experiences with the private run JABO marbles. The first (and I thought last) JABO run caused a wild eyed frenzy at an Amana show several years ago that reminded me of sales boom and busts involving Jim Beam bottles, Cabbage Patch Dolls and the like. An investment? Hardly. Those JABO marbles are not that beautiful -- they are a mass product of a multitude of randomly mixed colors not an artistic creation that you see in the work of contemporary glass artists.

Marbles should not collected as an investment you say?

Old time collectors and or/their widows who liquidate marble collections are not interested in giving away their collections. They push to get the best price and will be extremely disappointed at any less or loss. I doubt that any of the experienced collectors will leave their widows with any more than a handful of JABOs among their valuable marble collections.

Not that Beautiful? IMHO they are the best machine made marbles ever made! ask my grandchildren in 20 years if they are worthless!

They might not be for everyone, but damn sure they are for me! And i do have a very nice collection of vintage marbles as well! They are not handmade but made with pride by the Tributes,Dave,Ronnie and Richard.

Bruce

innovations in machinery and techniques have been coming out of reno for several years now. an american company is still functioning and viable. people are learning, and employed, still, and the proof is in the product. and surprises are still being formulated and put to the test. i can't wait. and .. if i had my way, i would be just down the road ... everday ...

and all this talk about money and investment potential ... and how jabo has a negative effect ... BULL ... protecting selfserving interests is not a valid arguement for me. buying a vintage or contemp. marbles, regardless of value, for me, is solely an issue of .. do i have enuf money and ... do i want it. i've NEVER bought for investment. altho some have turned into a value that surprises me ... i'll probably continue on as before.

the old masters techniques haven't been figured out .. yet. testing and the new ideas coming from jabo should never be slowed down. they should be encouraged and promoted. and are being done so by some very intelligent and responsible people ... i'm waiting for some more to just spin me around ... :music-rocker-001: ... bill

I share MARBLEMISER’s views and experiences with the private run JABO marbles. The first (and I thought last) JABO run caused a wild eyed frenzy at an Amana show several years ago that reminded me of sales boom and busts involving Jim Beam bottles, Cabbage Patch Dolls and the like. An investment? Hardly. Those JABO marbles are not that beautiful -- they are a mass product of a multitude of randomly mixed colors not an artistic creation that you see in the work of contemporary glass artists.

Marbles should not collected as an investment you say?

Old time collectors and or/their widows who liquidate marble collections are not interested in giving away their collections. They push to get the best price and will be extremely disappointed at any less or loss. I doubt that any of the experienced collectors will leave their widows with any more than a handful of JABOs among their valuable marble collections.

Why did you think what you saw at Amana would be the only run?

innovations in machinery and techniques have been coming out of reno for several years now. an american company is still functioning and viable. people are learning, and employed, still, and the proof is in the product. and surprises are still being formulated and put to the test. i can't wait. and .. if i had my way, i would be just down the road ... everday ...

and all this talk about money and investment potential ... and how jabo has a negative effect ... BULL ... protecting selfserving interests is not a valid arguement for me. buying a vintage or contemp. marbles, regardless of value, for me, is solely an issue of .. do i have enuf money and ... do i want it. i've NEVER bought for investment. altho some have turned into a value that surprises me ... i'll probably continue on as before.

the old masters techniques haven't been figured out .. yet. testing and the new ideas coming from jabo should never be slowed down. they should be encouraged and promoted. and are being done so by some very intelligent and responsible people ... i'm waiting for some more to just spin me around ... :music-rocker-001: ... bill

Bravo!

Question --- Why did you think what you saw at Amana would be the only run?

My answer -- The story going around was that a notice had been posted by JABO that the company was considering liquidation.

... AND ...

After lengthy negotiations with the owners - a group of investors had financed a private run. They refurbished one of the marble making machines and purchased colored glass from Italy. The marbles produced were sold as an opportunity to own a final piece of marble history. With that story circulating in the Amana Holiday Motel -- the feeding frenzy was on ...