Marble Measuring.....

flintnodule

Hello. Welcome.

What is the best way to measure marbles? I'm new to the Connection so I hope posting this question here is alright. Where is a good place to buy a marble template besides ebay?

If you go for the template over the calipers (or along with) be aware that some templates are inaccurate for drop through measuring of small items. And I think intentionally so. I heard that they make room for the width of a pencil lead inside. Or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Dial calipers,or micrometers,for accuracy.

Most of the marble people I know are happy if your within 1/16th,of an inch.With the exceptions being pee-wee,1/2( 0.50),or any other bench markes size.You know the ones,,over an inch,,,over 3/4,,,,over 2 inches,,,ect,,ect,,,,

If your useing a template,make sure it is accurate,to begin with,and non-flexible.If you bend it a little while you are measuring,you can have a larger marble go through,a smaller hole.

I've often wondered what was being used to get measurements that are in finer increments than the 8th inch and millimeter measurements I get through the small, brass pocket-size caliper I got from the local jeweler. I can pretty much eyeball the millimeter when it's in between and say 16.5 mm (then use a conversion chart to inches), but some days my eyeballs are just too tired...

Forget millimeters, if God had wanted us to use the metric system there would have been 10 disciples...lol

seriously though,..

"Dial calipers,or micrometers,for accuracy.

Most of the marble people I know are happy if your within 1/16th,of an inch.With the exceptions being pee-wee,1/2( 0.50),or any other bench markes size.You know the ones,,over an inch,,,over 3/4,,,,over 2 inches,,,ect,,ect,,,,'

^what he said^..

and what Steph said about the metal calipers. I think you can pick up a plastic caliper for less than the price of a couple gallons of gas if you shop around the internet.