Mibs Id? Spiral, Snake ??

ter215

i know these are either - spiral, snakes, augers ?? but which, and are they of the same maker? can anyone tell me there names & maker, please !! the left one is 5/8 in. the right one is just allitle over 5/8 in. thanks in advance to everyone !! .......terry

post-3207-0-01945200-1324599125_thumb.jp

i know these are either - spiral, snakes, augers ?? but which, and are they of the same maker? can anyone tell me there names & maker, please !! the left one is 5/8 in. the right one is just allitle over 5/8 in. thanks in advance to everyone !! .......terry

post-3207-0-63405500-1324599227_thumb.jp

My personal opinion is that Akro as a company didn't call any one particular type of marble a special. I know they sold "Special Assortments". My GUESS is that boxes which say "Special" on them were the ones "Special Assortments" came in.

As a collector name, the definition varies.

However the marbles in the OP definitely were sold as Spirals. No doubt.

Yeah ... the salesman box has an Akro Special section - the top left section. Different marble types have been found in it. That's part of why I figured "Special" was more of a catchall term than a specific type -- a section for whichever additional styles Akro wanted their salesmen to be showing around in addition to the basic line.

3Akrosamplerboxes002-1.jpg

larger version: http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/modularforms/Akro/3Akrosamplerboxes002.jpg

Here's a pricelist with the "Special Assortment" listed. Sorry this one's so small. I'm pretty sure I have a bigger copy but I don't remember where I put it.

1933_GS1b.jpg

Yes, augurs do originate in the center and can extend all the way to the sides, but don't always. Onyx always have colored transparent glass with a white cork. Spirals have transparent clear class with a colored cork and some have transparent colored glass with a colored cork. The red ones inside red glass are especially pretty as are the transparent violet with yellow corks. I don't agree with the specials post. Having "specials" labeled on the boxes like a name makes me think the company was calling them "specials". Even in the salesman's sample boxes. The ad in the publication might have been marbles they were having a "special sale" on. Keep in mind that kids named a lot of marbles too. "Snakes" and "spirals" may have been the same marble. Weldon called spirals snakes. Of course he wasn't an authority. LOL! Also keep in mind that some names depended on what part of the U.S. you lived in. They were regional.