Contemporary Or Handmade????

PLEASE help me with this one i am sssooo confused about its beautiful vibrant colors and condition....

one more thing. DO NOT OUTBID ME PLEASE!!! I am crazy about this marble and if it's handmade I will be extremely happy!!! again please do not outbid me, THANKS!!

here's the item number: 160778275815

I will be happy to here your answers :)

Well Rylee, my inexperienced opinion is that it's a polished handmade. The pontil appears to be "opened up" ,the stripes are fuzzy on the edges and there are telltale marks on the surface that lead to that conclusion. Since, I can't see why someone would need to polish a contemporary marble, I vote for handmade.

I know there are those who shy away from polished examples but personally, I would rather have a beautiful polished antique marble than a beat-up, ugly unrestored one.

I can see why you want, it, it's gorgeous! And I promise to sit on my hands during the auction.lol

Stacy

Very Contemporary IMO. I have seen several new marbles nearly identical to this one. I even have a similar marble. The easily seen surface ridges would mean the marble has not been polished. It does lookm rather poorly made IMO.

Well, shows how much I know.....sorry Rylee, guess I should sit on my hands when it comes to typing.

To further my education. - how do the ridges get on a contemporary? Is it ground somehow? I was thinking of a contemporary as being very glassy.

Well, shows how much I know.....sorry Rylee, guess I should sit on my hands when it comes to typing.

To further my education. - how do the ridges get on a contemporary? Is it ground somehow? I was thinking of a contemporary as being very glassy.

Keep in mind that cane-cut contemporaries (as this one is) are made by the same process as vintage pieces. So the ridges are caused by the same processes. Those can be a twist imparted to the cane before or during the cut - or by the rounding process.

Here is Geoff Beetem making a cane cut piece - which may illustrate the basic process and help you visualize how the ridge can be created. Remember: most cane-cut designs are intentionally twisted to cause the ribbons, latticino to spiral (Geoff makes PERFECT pieces :music-rocker-001: )

MVC-027F.jpg

MVC-251F.jpg

MVC-255F.jpg

MVC-047F.jpg

MVC-259F.jpg

MVC-048F.jpg

Big smile @ Rylee & Stacy here.

Rylee you just brought back some childhood memories.

When I was growing up, Stephanie wasn't that common a name yet so I often was called either Jennifer or Stacy.

:)

About the marble ... I didn't know enough to make a guess. It looked sorta newish to me, but I wasn't certain and hoped someone else would know.

LOL Steph! When I was growing up, Stacy was an uncommon name so I was, and am still, often called Stephanie!

and Alan, thanks very much for the photos. It is really a big help to see them. I appreciate the time you took to post them. I had been thinking that the final torch work on a marble would smooth out those ridges but now I can see that the degree of craftsmanship is the determining factor.

Stacy

Ha thanks! Wow all of you are gonna make me cry..... you are ssooo nice and upbeating I'm so glad I have marble friends who get my love for the marbles..... unlike people in school who judge for what you wear, what you like, and everything else...... but i read a shirt the other day that also put it out there, it read... "The haters rate me, simply because they aint me"...... :D

Thank you all for your kindness, I will never be able to thank you enough....