Mark Matthews Marbles

They are high-quality, good-looking marbles, for sure. But why do they usually go for so much more than contemporaries by any other artists?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4167bd9025

They sell for more because Mark is a respected artist with a well-known, well-respected reputation for his own designs, innovation and excellent execution. People have been willing to pay premium prices for premium work.... and for a long time.

I own plenty of his work - and will buy more.

When marbles are too precise, they lose some character, IMO. Symmetry is good, but when it's overdone it looks too mechanical. JMO, of course.

what i was pointing out was the imperfection414527414_tp.jpg "Matthews is all about precision. Others have come close and can make a good copy but still not quite as good. " this is obviously clydes opinion, but the facts are NOT PRECISION

for he same reason some folks buy Rolex

a timex makes for a good wristwatch, all about personal pref? drive a caddy or drive a yugo?

Glass is the same? I feel tickling on my back side. Scott, you as an artist know that saying glass is glass isnt the same. "davis = jabo = matthews" It's not the same. For sake of the discussion making the materials, work area, kiln, etc the same it falls on the skills of the artist. Matthews is all precise symetry. Davis, Beetem, Seese etc. They all have different skills. Different looks. M!B$ is right that it can look mechanical but it still is what his followers expect of Matthews.

Glass is the same? I feel tickling on my back side. Scott, you as an artist know that saying glass is glass isnt the same. "davis = jabo = matthews" It's not the same. For sake of the discussion making the materials, work area, kiln, etc the same it falls on the skills of the artist. Matthews is all precise symetry. Davis, Beetem, Seese etc. They all have different skills. Different looks. M!B$ is right that it can look mechanical but it still is what his followers expect of Matthews.

all glass contains sand. AGREED ,the skills are different. as for precise symetry of matthews it is proven above, false. THESE may be close

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2-7-8-Marble-Mark-Matthews-Roman-Parallel-Geometric-/01/!Bn,4Hc!BGk~$(KGrHqEOKjEEtqPgfsd-BLjZhVjr2!~~_1.JPG

but to say one commands high prices for symetry is bullcocca