Prayers For Newtown Ct

BobBlock

My wife is a farrier and has clients all over the State. But she has a lot in Newtown. The pony club my son belongs to is in Newtown, my wife's trail club is in Newtown, and a lot my wife's horsey friends are there as well.

Her text to me at 9:59AM this morning: "Im in Newtown and cops just flew by. anything on the news?"

The sheer magnitude of the loss is beyond comprehension. But to fully understand how disturbing this is, you have to know what Newtown is like. If you were to look in the dictionary under the word bucolic, there would be a picture of Newtown. Newtown would be the last place on earth that you would expect something like this to happen. It just completely shatters your worldview.

Here's the Newtown Meeting House. This is where my wife and I were married.

post-196-0-79926900-1355573968_thumb.jpg

Newtown is known for having a huge flagpole in the middle of Main Street (the main route between Bridgeport and Danbury). You have to drive around it when you're driving up or down Rt. 25

post-196-0-58395900-1355573969_thumb.jpg

The Newtown Ram Pasture. This gives you an idea of beautiful this place really is

post-196-0-13602800-1355573970_thumb.jpg

The home of the Newtown Bee's Antiques and the Arts Weekly. One of the largest weekly antiques newspapers in the world.

post-196-0-88124500-1355573970_thumb.gif

Bob,

I just don't have words to express what I think of this...except that I am so very glad your kids are safe. I really am, Bob. You were much too close to it all.

And I'm so sorry that so many others are not safe. Horrific, tragic, sad, and all the things the others here have expressed. Just senseless.

Marlene

Innocent children murdered in cold blood. It's unbelievably tragic. My heart goes out to those children, their families, and everyone else involved. I'd say those teachers deserve a medal and a big hug too. I can't imagine going back there Monday morning or whenever they will have to.

I thought the same thing Ric. If I was a child I would scared to go back so soon. I hope they just start their xmas vacation earlier and have them make it up at end of year. Its a time for them to heal and being on holiday would be good for them. The community is very tight knit and that they will help each other. There was one small little laugh I did get on Friday. The school had posted there would be no afternoon kindergarten class that day. I am glad they cleared up many inconsistencies that were first reported. The prinicipal, janitor and teachers were heroes and saved many lives while sacrificing their own. . My heart and sympathies go out to the all the people of that community.

And to think that there are REAL PEOPLE who had to go in there, see and document that horrific scene, collect evidence, and recover the bodies, and others who will have to clean up the physical space. I don't think I could do it. In my opinion, those people who have enough fortitude to do what must be done deserve much respect. My heart goes out to each and every one of them.

School is cancelled until after the Christmas break. The last word was that they will be attending at a school in the next town over. I think there is a good chance they will never re-open the Sandy Hook school.

On a sadder note, we found out this morning that one of the little girls who was murdered was also a student at one of the riding academies where my wife is the hoof trimmer.

From the Connecticut Parent Teacher Association website:

Connecticut PTSA is deeply saddened by the tragedy that has struck our Newtown community. We have met with the PTA and community leaders in Newtown and Sandy Hook Elementary to offer our assistance at this very difficult time. They have asked us to spearhead the following efforts on their behalf:

Snowflakes for Sandy Hook

Please help the students of Sandy Hook have a winter wonderland at their new school! Get Creative!! No two snowflakes are alike. Make and send snowflakes to Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514, by January 12, 2013.