What's Your Thoughts On This?

Well since I have free long distance I called he said he could not take more pictures as it is at the store and he is not ?? but he says it is old for sure because every thing from the place he got it from was old , it was in a jar ?? . also he sell a lot of old marbles and he said even though it is old it does not have any pontils wow he even knew what they were and they should be there but !! I asked about the other marbles it came with and there at the shop for sale .

Kind da ok but I would think new . Mike post-94-0-84265300-1364935460_thumb.jpgpost-94-0-55777700-1364935461_thumb.jpgpost-94-0-25596000-1364935462_thumb.jpg

It looks WV furnace made to me. The thing that makes me not positive is the color of the clear glass. Bob Hamon, Charles Gibson, Jim Davis and all his sons would have that marble in crystal clear glass. may be that the light is not good. It looks WV to me.

I would think many a single furnace made marble would only have one pontil????? Cane cut would have what some would call 2 pontils but really only one as the marble is usually worked down to a single break off . Semantics?

A Hamon family marble would have two pontils. Both ends are finished with a twist. The one shown above has an open "pontil". It was fire polished to smooth it off without pulling the colors together and twisting it closed. It has two pontils. The open one was attached to the punty first. The twisted end was completed first. Hamon family and also Eddie Seese then attach to another punty at the twisted end and the open end is reheated, then finished with a twist The first twisted end is then broken off the punty rod and fire polished to melt in the crystal clear glass. It takes a little longer to twist both ends, but the effect is much nicer. Charles Gibson never finished the open end. Jim Davis never did either. Occasionally the Davis sons do finished the open end pontil.

George Williams, also West Virginian, now deceased might have made the above marble that Galen showed. He was making marbles during the 80's. He and Bob Hamon, Charles Gibson, and Dave McCullough were friends and spent a lot of time together "playing with glass".

• 8 months later...