How Happy Was Everyone With Their Recent Morphy Auctions Purchases?

I talked to 'Linda', very helpful. The paypal option happened, when I told her I didn't do checks, haven't for 20 years. She was like, you have paypal?

As far as shipping, she said they are very busy with lot's of auctions and it's a 'que' based system, once you pay then your in a list at the shipping department. ???

I paid on a Friday and had my stuff the next Wednesday.....but since I got that catalog, it might have moved me up.

Where's Running Rabbit when we need it. Miss ya Alan.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I paid by check I got 18% premium instead of 20% as oppossed if pay by CC. What was the premium for PP? 18% or 20%? My PP account is set that its direct from my account. No waiting.

Now when I won a lot from Bob Block last Friday there was no premium at all. Thanks Bob!

I bought 5 lots. three were as described. two lots had typo errors as far as size.I called and explained their error, they said I could send them back after a little discussion.

I will verify size before bidding on any other marbles with them! First error was lot #1314 , it was only 11/16" minus not the 1-11/16" as descibed . the other lot was lot #1637 with the largest indian was only 13/16" , not the 1 3/16" described. I did enjoy the 1 3/8" china flower lot #1327 and the 360 indian which was 3/4". good luck to other bidders.

Received my package from Morphy today. Out of 13 lots, 3 are going back for grading issues. 3 additional lots could have gone back because they are badly misgraded, but they are sulphide lots and I was going to have them polished anyways, so no harm no foul.

The most grievous grading error is Lot 1576, which was two sulphides, both described as polished. In fact, the larger of the two is remelted and then encased in a polymer with a fake pontil added on. It is noticeably lighter than a marble its size would be. More disturbing is that it glows light green under a black light, because thin inner part in an old marble that is remelted.

So, I sent them off an email this morning informing them I was returning the three misgraded lots and the reasons why they were misgraded. I was a bit disturbed by the email I received in return.:

Bob, you can send them back for further review on our end to determine if refunds will be offered. This is not the first time we have had issues with your purchases and so immediate returns/refunds will not be offered. We will let you know what we have decided when they return. Mark the package to my attention.

For the future, you will need to evaluate all marbles either in person or have a someone view them for you. Returns will not be accepted moving forward. We have a level of respect that needs to be given to our consignors and having issues like this each sale cannot continue. Please make proper arrangements for all future marble sales.

FWIW, I have returned a few items in from sales over the past few years, but there have also been auctions where I've kept everything, so they are overstating the case. Here was my response. I seriously doubt I'll be bidding in any future Morphy auctions.

Understood. But if you are going to solicit online bids based on reliance of your catalogue description, then you have a level of responsibility to ensure that your catalogue description is not materially different from reality. Anything less is negligence. If you can't meet that minimum standard then you shouldn't solicit online bids. The reason you have had items returned by me in the past is because you have not met that minimum level of diligence. So, don't be blaming me because you folks can't do your job properly! And, by the way, offering an item for sale that has clearly been reworked and is a fake is unconscienable and fraudulent. It is the responsibility of your firm to meet the minimum standards of conduct and expectation in your industry. It is not my responsibility to do your job for you.

An update. I ran into Brian Estepp at Brimfield this morning and had a "chat" with him about the grading, and about the email I got from Morphy's.

Regarding the grading, I feel he really is trying to do the best job he can, but he doesn't have adequate time to grade all the marbles in a sale. He sincerely wants to get the grading right. For instance, in this past sale which had over 700 lots of marbles, he had to get them all described, sized and graded over a 3-day period. That's almost 250 lots per day. I don't know about the rest of you who sell on Ebay or elsewhere, but when I'm cataloguing a marble auction, I feel I'm making good time if I can get through 20 lots an hour. And I consider that to be a fast speed.

Regarding the email exchange I posted above, he says he'll make it right. I still doubt I'll bid in any future Morphy auctions, until I hear the grading has gotten better (and their office staff gets an attitude adjustment).

Why on earth would they offer 700 marbles in a single auction in the first place. Oh yea to pad their pockets and not give a damn about what it is doing to the price of marbles. (driving them into the basement).

And if true, pretty sad way to run a business. It is only the buyer that gets screwed with an overgraded marble. And truth be told probably 9 out of 10 buyers won't bother with returning or trying to return an over graded marble. Many marble sellers know that and use that fact in their dealings. It is all about $$$$

I wonder if they might stop some of the BS if everyone that got an over graded marble sent it back. And I wonder if a poll was taken from all buyers, how many felt their purchases were over graded. An if short on time why is it they get over graded instead of under graded???????????????/

Bob, It doesn't look real good when someone that does auctions starts slamming another auction house. Wouldn't want folks bringing up the past now would we? Just some food for thought. You may want to leave this stuff up to jerks like myself(LOL)

from here read like a discussion of those who bought.

Bob bought.

his email might have been the most informative of all the info.

when you suggest, dont judge, seems right judgmental. u know, glass houses and all.

david

let yea without sin. sat ur lying ass down.

Hi everyone Morphys took the marble back no problem no hassle (lot 1430). No the marble was not polished, it just had minor wear. Let me say that I am VERY picky, maybe too picky. I normally fly to view the lots in person but I did not this time. I am sure I will buy lots more marbles from them in the future.

I have been to several marble shows in the last few years, I get a better selection from Morphys. If you want great marbles you have to spend countless hours hunting them down or you can just wait for Morphys, they will have a great selection in there next marble auction.

I really like collecting great marbles and most of the marble collectors I meet are great. I don't want to participate in bad mouthing anybody or bad mouthig any auctions. Finally I am really greatfull for the marbles I have bought from Morphys.

I bought lots of great marbles including the 3-1/16" swirl, I was there to bid on the 7/8 pink base lutz but was out bid. I now wish I would have bid more. I did get the small pink base lutz though.

Randy Conway

I don't think it's the intention of most of us to bad mouth as much as point out experiences. I believe it's important to call out this stuff as its happening more and more. For a lot of people it's a big expenditure to buy at Morphys, so we would like too see better attention to detail paid to the grading of marbles. A major auction house claiming to be top in the field should have a little more QC.