Marble Buddies Run At Sammy's Mountain Marbles

The first base glass we used looked opalescent. It was translucent and it made a nice base glass for a lot of different marbles. (Not all pictured here)pastel-opal-look-2.jpg this one has pink and blue ribbons along with the black.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to be the only one posting about the marbles. I don't think anybody knows that Lawrence E. Alley III, grandson of L. E. Alley the owner of Alley Agate came to our run and took part as a worker. His cousin Frank Sellers had been trying to get his to come for a long time. Mr. Alley helped do all the work that the rest of us did. He is writing a book about his father and his grandfather and he wanted to write about his experience with marbles. He told us he hadn't been in a marble factory since he was a little boy. He seemed to enjoy everything about it. He will be writing a chapter about his experience at Sammy's Mountain Marbles lawrence-and-dave-boxes-bes.jpgLawrence E. Alley III and Dave Mcullough.

You even caught the elusive Dave Akers in that last one. I have pics of everyone working in the last two Buddies runs and when I start editing, Dave is not in them. He's one of the best workers so how come I don't catch him with the camera? The group picture is the only one I got of him.

I finished sorting families last night and took time to make 5 boxes of keepers for me and 5 for Joseph. This is most of the families in the West Virginian run, but not all. I have not photographed the lutz marbles yet and there are many.wv-box-2.jpgBox 2: row 2 is "LIL RAY", row 3 and 4 are Griff's sprinkles, row 8 is small Bud Platinumswv-box-1.jpgBox 1 has a lot of the translucent based marbles in it

Now for the special marbles that were treated by David Griffie or Linda Simmons. I liked to call them Griffed or Simmonsed. Some have frit, some lutz frit in larger pieces, some lutz mist, some lutz ribbons, and somelutz-1.3493913.jpg colorized mica.lutz-11.5953435.jpglutz-3.2171390.jpglutz-4.6244603.jpglutz-5.3753968.jpglutz-6.9458218.jpg

Lawrence (Larry) Alley III said his book is almost complete. It will not be a identification guide to Alley marbles. It will include marbles,childrens dishes,glass animals,etc.,but it will be a lot about the family history,his grandfather,father and his self. It should be ready to publish this fall. There will be some interesting information in it. Like one item may be a detailed list of everything that Marble King purchased from Lawerence Alley. Larry spent a little over a week here finishing up some more research for the book. He was pleased when he left,plus he had a good time.

post-91-0-88791800-1369271029_thumb.jpg

post-91-0-28850800-1369271085_thumb.jpg

post-91-0-16387900-1369271129_thumb.jpg

I have a lot of pictures,but i can only load three at a time here,and they are small. I have many detailed pictures of the original Alley Salesman sample case. Lots of pictures of the different Chinese Checker marbles by Alley. Some of these are unusal colors and swirls.

I also have 300 pictures of a recent Alley marble dig at Pennsboro WV. I don't have time to load three pictures at a time per post,thats 100 post.

There is no way that i know which ones to post?