General Question

All through this post and others,i can find the remarks,it has been said that you cannot go by what is found at a dig site for identification. I have heard that statement probably every month for 15+ years. Now all of a sudden because these were dug at Sistersville,they are suppose to be made by Alley at Sistersville ? What other evidence is there that Alley made a patch marble ? I said and agree if a marble from a dig site is all there is for evidence,then that is a place to start for identification. But what if that same marble is also at another companies dig site in much much larger numbers ? If you believe that all marbles found at a dig site were made there,then these could be Alley. But when I saw so many different ones and big numbers that in my opinion most or all match Akro. Something did not seem right to me. So I got more marbles from sistesville,i compared them side by side to Akros that I dug. They matched,if I mix them I could not separate them for sure. There is a few single number of odd balls but that is usual. I go with numbers,and for me a way to many of these patches from Sistersville matched Akro exactly. So I changed my mind. If these were made by Alley there is problems in identifying a big portion of Akro patches. Are they Akro or are they Alley. I have a few gallons of dirty dug patches that I will sell you if you want Akro or Alley,but you decide what they are or where they came from.

I have never made any cut and dry statements as to what can or can not be assumed. Just given my opinions and asked questions to gather more info. I change my opinions from time to time as I learn and garner more information. I have said I do not believe large amounts of discarded defective marbles and associated cullet would have been exchanged between companies. So seeing that large amounts of certain type patch marble and the associated cullet was found together at the Sisterville site it is my OPINION they were made there. Untill I find packaging, paperwork or pictures I have NO PROOF.

I just spent the last two or three hours comparing patchs dug at Sistersville and patches dug at Clarksburg. It has been over a year since I studied them this close. I did find more than I thought that was different than any Akro which I had. But again I did find a large number that was the exact same. I would sure like to give credit to Alley for these patches but I am just not comfortable enough yet to identify Alley patches for people. Someday more information will happen. Until then the patches did come,more than one time,by more than one person,from the Sistersville Alley site no doubts. After all these years I now have a picture of the buildings which Alley occupied in Sistersville. A lot of things has taken years to get answers to,obtain or see. But with effort,time and more information,more details will be known about these patch marbles from Sistersville. Maybe Alley did copy several of the Akro patches that close? If I have a choice I would like them to be made by Alley if they can be separated from other makers patches.