Canton Report

Just got in @9:20 from the Canton Show. Left early due to illness. The show was fantastic. Motel was sold out Tuesday for the days of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Thursday night they were even putting marble people up on the second floor. Bought a lot of nice marbles. Seen two of the finest antique Marble collections I have ever seen displayed. Neither person was selling, just displaying. One man was from Chattanooga and the other sorry to say I did not get any info on. The one man had on 1 small table material displayed you only dream about, and that didn't include his revolving watch case which was loaded with killer stuff as well. Said it took him 35 years to assemble the collection. I had a room next to the other great collection, a man from Tennesse. He only displayed about 60 or 70 marbles and in 1 large gun case I picked up a 2-1/2" wet mint swirl that had a fat transparent colored glass jelly like core (don't remember the color) with rows of small patterned bubbles running parallel to the pontils and the outer core was thin threads of 5 or 6 different colors and about 30 threads, There was so many thin glass threads that it made it a little hard to see the inner core. Loads and loads of nice machine mades and the buying and selling was brisk to say the least. Great show, had a wonderful time. Ronnie

I've talked to a few people that went. Most said is was lacking the attendance that the Feb. show had. Price's were a bit higher, and available items were less abundant.

Hmmm.. I just wonder if this 'would have been' the Columbus show if it wouldn't have been better... ??? ...

Maybe something to consider for next year.

I've talked to a few people that went. Most said is was lacking the attendance that the Feb. show had. Price's were a bit higher, and available items were less abundant.

Hmmm.. I just wonder if this 'would have been' the Columbus show if it wouldn't have been better... ??? ...

Maybe something to consider for next year.

I myself think moving the show back to Columbus is a mute point.

It's not the location that is lacking it's the high cost of gas & everytnihg else.

Also there is a lack of younger collectors. The cost of starting a resonable

collection to many is not afordable.

Also we have a lack of marbles on the wild.

Nothing to get newbies excited about.

Finding that GEM really gets the blood going.

I have stopped taking hunting for marble trips.

One reason, high cost of gas.The other anything I do find is in

not so good condition, and the price comes from a book the owner read.

So, moving the show may help. I think, not so much.

Maybe more advertising?

Then again there is, location, location, location.

Of course IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.

that's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Thanks

marblemiser

Well guys interesting comments. I think they had about 60 rooms. There were 40 on the room list at the desk but a good number don't list their rooms. I arrived Wed. pm and I had a good show selling which is not the usual case for me. I must say that i didn't buy as much as some years but if I had been looking for WV mibs ( Alleys, Akro etc), and high end Chrissies there were plenty to be had. I did get 3 1-7/16 melted pontil horiz. slags (2 navarres and one Barberton) paid about what I would have paid for the best one 5 yrs ago. Halls did seem quiet evenings more than some years but when my room was open there were always people in it. Maybe I just walked the halls when everybody else had gone to eat. I would like a show back in Columbus simply because its 2hrs longer for me to Canton. Nice clean well laid out hotel for a show. Way better than the crazy layout when it was in Worthington. It was nice to see the great handmades that Frank brought even if I couldn't talk him out of any. Which is probably the same comments many made about me. Bill

Nothing like a marble show, doesn't matter where it's at, you will always find something you can not get on Ebay. I will agree that the numbers are starting to not add up. Hotel, gas, food, etc. I stayed home and just this month have purchased 10 sulphides, 2 large handmades and numerous mint ca's both on ebay and private deals. Flip a coin, stay home and buy stuff or spend that money and travel... You miss out on the interaction with friends at shows but you can sit home and make just as good or even better deals.

gallery_14_303_806879.jpg

gallery_14_303_844811.jpg

gallery_14_303_460278.jpg