Artist Defaced?

Not necessairly true Galen that it was torched.

The person would have to re heat that marble for at least 2 hours because if the didn't, it would thermal shock (exlode). IF the person took all the effort to do the slow pre heting, they would hve the skill NOT to boil the glass.

I invite you to come to my workshop so I could show you thermal expnsion up close nd personal.

I'd love to her from someone that polsihes marbles to read IF holding the marble in one place for an extended period of time would cause that area to bubble the glass.

I agree this marble was vandalized but not necessairly by a torch. IF it was altered by a torch, the person was VERY lucky it didn't explode in thier face.

I could Agree with Scott that the bubbles are from a torch originally, but still from torch work. Thanks for the invite Rich but I have been lucky enough to make marbles with a torch and been with folks while they made them from a glory hole(which also involved a "torch") I have also been in several large glass studios, Chihuly, Orient and Flume and Benicias' Neurot quite often. My too quick observation and lack of title absorption made me think vintage instead of seeing a modern made marble, I stand corrected.

Thanks for the input on this. I was thinking it was reworked.

Anyway here's the auction it's from. http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-2-color-handmade-cased-clambroth-marble-Huge-1-3-8-inch-very-rare-lot-868-/141055349291?pt=Marbles&hash=item20d78dd22b

It sort of looks flat in picture #6 as well. ???

Thanks again!!!!! Great info at a super price!!!!!!!

Not necessairly true Galen that it was torched.

The person would have to re heat that marble for at least 2 hours because if the didn't, it would thermal shock (exlode). IF the person took all the effort to do the slow pre heting, they would hve the skill NOT to boil the glass.

I invite you to come to my workshop so I could show you thermal expnsion up close nd personal.

I'd love to her from someone that polsihes marbles to read IF holding the marble in one place for an extended period of time would cause that area to bubble the glass.

I agree this marble was vandalized but not necessairly by a torch. IF it was altered by a torch, the person was VERY lucky it didn't explode in thier face.

Rich,

I conserve marbles without heating and can assure you that there is no way that bubbles will appear as the marble is being worked on in this way. I personally think this is a new marble and get tired of seeing all of the new marbles on ebay that are being called old German. Two times I have purchased new old marbles, the first time it was my fault, the second time it was misrepresented and the person would not give a refund so they got negative feedback.

All my best ...... Danny