Alox Shoe Lace Counter Display

spara50

Found this today in an antique store on Sanibel Island in Florida of all places. Really cool piece. 11" tall, 15" wide, 5" deep. The clock face says Alox. That is a mirror below the clock. The back is where you would store the shoe laces. It has text about how to reorder across the back and says St. Louis MO. Made of tin, painted and a wood base. Really neat counter display. Anyone seen one of these before?

Photo011.jpg

Photo022.jpg

Photo033.jpg

Photo044.jpg

Photo055.jpg

Craig

"...ever see one again" ?

What were the odds that you'd see that one?

Sounds like fate to me, and what a crazy-cool piece!

Thanks for all the well-done different views.

Boy those were the good old days.

Buy one pair of shoes, put a pair of Alox shoe laces on 'em,

use Hubero's Shoe Oil regularly, and you're set for life! :lol:

Photo044_zps9902c940.jpg

Bill, it was a bit expensive, but I just couldn't leave it. :rolleyes: Didn't know if I would ever see one again. You know everything is cheap until it's something you want, then it has to be some crazy price. Oh well.

har .. how well i know craig. enjoy your find and .. eyes open .. :music-rocker-001: ... bill

Super cool. I showed it to Nancy Frier. She said she's seen one sell for $600. She has one, and also has the original paper work for the clock -- she thinks it was from 1921 but hers is packed right now.

Edit: a little more info is on the way ....

Here's word for word what Nancy said in a follow-up comment:

The Silent Shoelace Salesman...I have a one I got for Pop long time ago, I believe I paid 30 or 40 for it. One went for over 600.00, 2 years ago. I will put pix of mine and Alox Pix my Grampa had in files at factory. I believe Gramps had a Silent Shoelace seller without a clock but can not find a pix. The one with clock I know is from 1920 or 1921, could have had it 1919 when he opened.

And here are some pics she provided. The first is a photo of the one she bought back when:

post-279-0-66881000-1383609186_thumb.jpg

The second is a photo her grandfather had at the factory:

post-279-0-67928600-1383609250_thumb.jpg

This is a pamphlet advertising it:

post-279-0-51968100-1383609240_thumb.jpg post-279-0-97481000-1383609214_thumb.jpg

She also has an older pamphlet somewhere which she may be able to locate for us. She might yet join the discussion .... :)

Hay everyone, Hi Billy boy, Steph, finally got on....hahahah Alox Silent Shoelace Salesman.....how do y'all add pixs, eh

back at ya nanc .. tried to contact you on this and kept getting a ... tone on the phone ??? is it just .. me .. :character-smileys-238: ... give a grin ... bill

Thanks Steph, I found that out , haha you must have down sizied me photo's eh, they are too big for me to load...

I posted the ones from Facebook -- maybe Facebook downsized them first.

lol ... if that's what happened, that means you can use Facebook as a downsizer program. Upload to there and then download 'em and post 'em here. :D

Nancy, great to see you on the board and for all the history. Steph thanks for helping track down all this great info on the dates and paperwork. Makes the piece even better than it was! Can't be too many of these left.

Craig

• 9 months later...