European Machine Made Marbles

Hi folks

As a handmade collector I don't know much about machine-made marbles. But I have several machine-made marbles which I won in marble-playing 35 years ago. And as I live in Europe most of these are European machine-made marbles. I am having some interesting discussion with a machine-made-collector from Italy (hi Rafael !) and he helped me identifying some of my marbles.

I thought it would be interesting to share them with you, perhaps some of you have similar marbles or additional information about these.

Have a nice weekend !

Ron

www.glasmurmeln.com

post-2885-0-04403300-1390056624_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-46156300-1390056736_thumb.jp

Hey, Ron! (Grüezi!)

The site looks great! The overall style has a nice

combination of 'serious' and 'outrageous' at the same time.

May I ask you about some of the written German

as far as marbles are concerned? I really only speak

English, but enjoy dabbling in other languages.

Could I trouble you for an English translation for the

opening statement?

Murmel, Märbel, Schusser, Glugger, Chlüre, Marmeli, Knicker, Glaskugel.... die Bezeichnungen im deutschen Sprachraum sind mannigfaltig und stehen als Synonym für ein Objekt, das seit Jahrzehnten die Augen sowohl von Kindern als auch von Erwachsenen leuchten lässt: Murmeln und ganz speziell GLASMURMELN !

Obviously, from the site name, that last word must be important!

I'm also wondering what the difference is between 'murmel' and 'murmein'.

Is there a simple answer for how to say 'marble' in German, or does it depend

on how the word is used? Merci vilmal, Bob ( :

And of course a warm welcome to '1 posts' Rafael!

It seems like TMC has members from one edge of the

USA to the other, but its reach farther away is limited.

Our European, Australian, and other friends are of

such high personal quality (you know who you are! ;) )

that we can't get enough! :)

Hey Mike!

Outrageous video!

I'm wondering about some of those larger marbles.

Think I'm remembering some recent posts here where

someone was asking about hand-mades pushing 3".

It looks like there are some here that are doing that,

based on how they look next to the smaller marbles.

What do you think?

went to sight and very nice here is link that is very nice on utube . Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nwr67VBHIo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUP_kW6qSe_R-ZtnPLVC-YtA

Hi Mike

Oh yes, I know these videos and the owner of these marbles :-) Another of the few marble-collectors in Europe.... He encouraged me to make some marble-videos too:

Ron

Hey, Ron! (Grüezi!)

The site looks great! The overall style has a nice

combination of 'serious' and 'outrageous' at the same time.

May I ask you about some of the written German

as far as marbles are concerned? I really only speak

English, but enjoy dabbling in other languages.

Could I trouble you for an English translation for the

opening statement?

Murmel, Märbel, Schusser, Glugger, Chlüre, Marmeli, Knicker, Glaskugel.... die Bezeichnungen im deutschen Sprachraum sind mannigfaltig und stehen als Synonym für ein Objekt, das seit Jahrzehnten die Augen sowohl von Kindern als auch von Erwachsenen leuchten lässt: Murmeln und ganz speziell GLASMURMELN !

Obviously, from the site name, that last word must be important!

I'm also wondering what the difference is between 'murmel' and 'murmein'.

Is there a simple answer for how to say 'marble' in German, or does it depend

on how the word is used? Merci vilmal, Bob ( :

Hi Bob

No problem, sooner or later I will translate the homepage in English too. But there is so much information available in English (and almost none in German) that I thougth I will first provide some information in German for potential collectors.

The word "Glasmurmeln" means nothing else than "glass marbles". So the translation of the marked text means in English.

"Murmel, Märbel, Schusser, Glugger, Chlüre, Marmel, Knicker, Glaskugel (these are all different terms for marbles in German and Swiss-German)....there are many German words for this specific object which has brought a glitter in the eye both to children and adults for several decades: marbles - and especially glass marbles"

Murmel = Marble

Murmeln = marbles

You use the word "murmel" just you use it in English, there is no difference.

By the way, as far as I know there are no antique marbles that are bigger than approximately 2 1/2 inches. There might be some examples which are slightly (but really just slightly) bigger. I heard it was not possible to make bigger marbles at that time because they would have colapsed under their own weight. Of course I saw the other guys posting and I noticed that Morphy sold a swirl marble which was over 3 inches in diameter about two years ago. But I am pretty sure this marble was made later, perhaps after WW II.

Ron

Ron,The German striped transparant it looks more like a Sunburst type,i believe Germany has made them aswell.

The Euro swirl (opaque),i do not think it's an Euro swirl.

The Euro sparkler in green base is a nice marble but i really don't know if it is one.

Your German striped transp- on the left side,i don't recognize it as a sriped transp-.

Ron,The German striped transparant it looks more like a Sunburst type,i believe Germany has made them aswell.

The Euro swirl (opaque),i do not think it's an Euro swirl.

The Euro sparkler in green base is a nice marble but i really don't know if it is one.

Your German striped transp- on the left side,i don't recognize it as a sriped transp-.

Hi Winnie

Thanks a lot for your input. It was Rafael (the collector from Italy) who tried to identify these marbles. So it is really interesting for me (and especially for him) to see other suggestions/opinions.

Thank you !

Ron

Thanks, Ron!

Whoops. Had that plural wrong. The lower-case 'l's look like 'i's on my screen.

Has to be my monitor. Couldn't possibly be my eyesight! B)

Great video! Great marbles!

And the terrific music in really excellent stereo is a wonderful bonus. ( :

I like the Euro sparklers myself. Remind me of a cross between master and Akro

Just contacted a friend in Belgium tonight and asked him to find me some marbles...a shot in the dark as I bet he will send me 10lbs of cat eyes,but worth a try since I see Euros listed as Akros for 30-60.00 on ebay more than not