Combination Popeye Ribbon

This is the weirdest popeye I've ever seen. Almost all of the popeyes I have seen and had, have had the colors mostly on the outside of the marble. This one, though, you can see that the colors go deep into the center of the marble like a ribbon corkscrew would. Is it an experimental? Does this characteristic make it rare or special? Opinions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

post-3547-0-41153200-1391893014_thumb.jp

post-3547-0-88912600-1391893054_thumb.jp

post-3547-0-17277500-1391893109_thumb.jp

post-3547-0-80284300-1391893153_thumb.jp

post-3547-0-67173800-1391893225_thumb.jp

I don't remember ever hearing anyone talk about it.

It's sort a cool.

"Experimental" is a word I avoid. I think it's overused. Someone once posted that Akro's true experimental marbles were large -- I can't remember how large -- should look that up -- but I think it was at least 3/4". Might have been 1". He sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

But a lot of people seem to use "experimental" for marbles which were likely just rejects.

And sometimes oddballs just happen.

It is a nice Popeye, but not so much special unless an individual prefers this particular type. I use type loosely here. I have a few like this. There is a wide range of fullness to the point of being so full that there is not enough clear for some to consider them a popeye at all.

"Experimental" is a word I avoid. I think it's overused. Someone once posted that Akro's true experimental marbles were large -- I can't remember how large -- should look that up -- but I think it was at least 3/4". Might have been 1". He sounded like he knew what he was talking about....

naw.. just not so. experimentals start around 9/16".

earlyakro2.jpg

I wish someone would write a book on the history of marble making, company by company....not the general types that are out there, but a real detailed one. So that things like Galen is talking about, the bringing over of MFC marbles to the Akro site and thus, getting mixed up with akros when dug and who knows what is what, especially with 'experimentals' . Does this make sense? Is there a need to put all of this detailed information together in one place...whether that be online or on paper, or maybe both. I sometimes find it hard to say what I mean so hope you are following my pea sized, but enthusiastic brain.

Do you have American Machine-Made Marbles, by Dean Six, Susie Metzler and Michael Johnson?

That has a lot of history in it.

Maybe not the definition of "experimental".

The guy who said experimentals were large marbles was Alan -- they guy with all the Claudias, not Alan Basinet. I don't know the source of his information. It might have been specific to the era in which corkscrews were being made. I don't know.

Or are those experimentals from the huge load of marbles brought over from MFC???? And Like many others believe experimental is a word to totally avoid when talking mrbles, unless you were there when someone was experimenting.

HMMM... so then you would be saying MFC did indeed make red? None of these match up to MFC color palettes. if it makes you smile Galen, we can call then nonproduction, or accidental? as none like these have been found in any advertising or salesman samples.

I understand that when MFC went out of business, akro bought the remaining inventory, for resale. is this what you mean or do you know of another large load of marbles brought from MFC? prior to that they use to buy marbles and fill boxes prior to moving to Clarksburg. onyx types. As more info is discovered, we have certainly seen a lot of beliefs change over the years. but we have no reason to doubt our source on these.

Just stirring.. Yes they came from Akrp dirt. (but what did they do with all the leftover MFC stuff when they went into their own production? These are definitely the type of marble I would imagine as being early experiments(and probably Akro) And probably to mimic marbles like they bought from MFC.. Small batches handgathered various sizes, all makes sense that experiments would be done in small similar batches which would be handgathered to the rollers as why would an experimenst be done in batches large enough to have to clean out a furnace before the next batch. I think most so called experimentals are just run overs between batches screwed up batches etc etc.

They bought all of MFCs marbles and other stuff(including some equipment) at one time. Who is to say MFC was not doing tests and experiments and saved the neater material. Not a stretch to think it then got shipped with all the other stuff. Then it did not match what Akro was already using from MFC so they tossed it? A possibility, maybe but I wasn't there??

just to add a little more confusion, the other marbles found with these were the burnt sparklers. ;-)

check page 79 of 'mfc, and the perfect glass ball machine'. I am betting that most of what akro bought were the bricks. just a hunch, since i was not there either. also in that book is reference as to the colors MFC used.

They also did experiementation, (but according to the book, these were usually done by factory workers and taken home).. but I doubt akro would have dumped them. they would of either sold them or used the glass?

and to get back to the topic, we also have this style popeye, and auger types etc. sorry for threat jacking... (shame on us Galen.)

Would it be safe to say that there were significantly fewer of this type of popeye than the regular ones? As far as thread jacking goes, I have learned so much here that I did not even notice....learning is a good thing...Speaking of learning,....do you have a pic of a burnt sparkler? Thanks so much if you do.