Onionskin Lutz Old Or Nem(Contemp)

A clear layer can also be added to increase size. The most common layered vintage marbles are Sulphides that have had a layer of colored glass added to the surface. It can be very difficult to tell that the layering has been done.

I compared it to an antique marble and the only difference I see is damage I don't think I know what I should be looking for. A marble that old should have more damage. Is That a good sigh that it has been remelted? I have asked a lot of people about this marble it was said with remelts the bubbles will make straight lines loops circles ect.... I don't see any off that. I am with everyone about this marble that it is newer or a remelt I am looking for that light bulb to go off in my head. I am so thankful for everyones help.

Look At the Pontil in your second picture first group. You will not find a similar pontil on a vintage marble. And the wide open area on the other end with the crazing look to the glass is something else not original to similar vintage marbles

I with you on that. I sent it to Marble Alan years back this is what he had to say.Hi Greg---I'm running late but am shipping your marble tomorrow. It measures 2-9/16" and is in 9.1-9.2 condition. The fact that there is minor damage in the way of microscopic flakes, a couple subsurface reflections, and some minor wear is suggestive of age; however, this could be faked if carefully done. Most large marbles like this will have ground pontils, which this one lacks. But it does have an abraded/filed basal pontil, which I have seen before on genuine examples. I hate to sit on the fence on this one because usually determining a fake for me is easy. This one is just too well done if indeed fake. But if real it's so incredibly rare I can't even begin to imagine how valuable it is...probably $3000-5000. Please get more opinions on it, Greg...I would like to hear what other seasoned collectors have to say! ~~Alan

• 2 years later...

This marble is now for sale at the 9-11 December Morphy sale as lot nr 1441. Estimate 7000-10.000! I think any lutz marble with a faceted pontil is suspicious. What I see on the third photo of the first post is exactly what I saw on a remelted marble I once had.

• 2 weeks later...