Extreme Surprise

lstmmrbls

I do have a feeder but don't fill it( I do keep the one with seeds full) I do not know what brought her around in the first place but unless this is one of the original nesters children she has to be one of the oldest Annas hummingbirds on record. I believe this is at least the 8th or 9th year of a nest being made on the porch. There are remnants of a nest just below her that got used 2 years in a row. She usually always makes a new one. It is a real joy getting to watch her raise the babies and it happens right outside my front window. I just put in a new window that has an opening at the top and new blinds that also drop from the top so I may get some great pictures. She is in that Ivy right outside at the top.

post-87-0-58413800-1421629123_thumb.jpg

Nice shot!

Like Steph, the word 'pretty' came to mind, and it got me wondering.

It sure looks like this lady bird went a little beyond 'functional'.

Is this maybe some sort of camouflage, or do some mothers-to-be

actually want their nests to be 'attractive'?

The Annas use spider webs to make their nests. The sticky webs go on the outside and the inside are the nonsticky webs. They decorate the outside with a variety of stuff for flamage. I notice this one found a cat or dog nearby as she used a lot of hair. The insides of the nest are absolutely the softest material I have ever felt. You actually have do noticeably depress it before you can even feel it. Here is the inside of one when she added feathers to the mix

6977353.JPG

Do you know how lucky you are to get to take those pictures?

If you want to help her out, you can also take your dryer lint and lay it around.

In the spring here, I take an old produce, mesh bag and put dryer lint and dog hair in it and hang up the bag.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but trying to forget what happened and it was another reason I hate cats more than almost any other animal. Any cat that is allowed outside is a killer of animals. They are disgusting beasts that should never be allowed out doors.