A Couple Of Nice Hand Made's From A Recent Purchase

I have a few of these types; some don't have the "latticinio" cage, some do. The ones with 2 ribbons can get complicated. But I've never heard them referred to as "tornado." The only ones I know of that are associated with that term are a few (scarce, if not rare) old Germans -- faceted pontil, I think, I'll check at home tonight -- that are generally classified as slags, with all of the white in the interior, quite literally in the shape of a tornado. I don't have one, or a pic of one, but I'll see what I can find . . .

I would go with End of Cane Caged Split Ribbon (if it has 12 outer bands or inner in this case). Looks like some extra clear got pulled/globbed/spread/smooshed? over the bands and they were forced towards the centre. Cool marble.

Here is a fat Tornado

post-218-0-91484300-1423529473_thumb.jpg

Here is an Akro Tornado...bought in the mid 2000's. It was 1 of 5 known at that time and a 13/16" dug marble. I know it has nothing to do with the nice marble you have shown.....thought some would like to see it any-who!

:)

:thup:

I would go with End of Cane Caged Split Ribbon (if it has 12 outer bands or inner in this case). Looks like some extra clear got pulled/globbed/spread/smooshed? over the bands and they were forced towards the centre. Cool marble.

Here is a fat Tornado

Yes! That fat tornado is the type I was referring to. A couple are listed in Bob's "Collecting Early Machine-made Marbles," pp. 22 & 36, if you have that book..