Real Marble Box?

sure looks familiar as to 1's morphy sold in the past. possibly not original marbles. very desirable box ... bill

Identical new empty boxes could be purchased in Laucha for US$5 each last time I visited, some 10 years ago.

They probably cost pennies to make, but they were being offered as repros at inflated prices.

That area of Thuringen (where this seller is located) has traditionally been home to many master glass blowers. Glass ornaments, dolls' eyes and marbles were and are still being produced and boxed in that type of cardboard, in all shapes and sizes.

Because you would have to artificially rust the staples after they were stapled in, there is usually some discoloration or staining around the staple from whatever was used to rust them. This is not 100%, as I'm sure staining could occur naturally too in the right circumstances

A quick exposure to certain gaseous acids will rust metal with out staining the surrounding material.

The rusting can definitely be faked without staining to the material. I really just meant that a stain can be a good indicator of a fake, but its absence doesn't automatically make it authentic.

What if the staples were "rusted" before they were used to put together the box?

From my understanding, that would be more difficult. Once the staples are rusted, changing their shape or bending them will usually break them.