European Machine Mades

Hi folks

I need your help. I am not a machine-made collector but I often get offered machine-made marbles from Germany. Usually it is just the usual worthless stuff like cateyes, clearies and opaques.

But now somebody offered this bunch of marbles (see pic). Some of these marbles look quite unusual and definately older than the common ones. My guess is that these were made in the 50ies. I know that most of you don't care much about older machine mades from outside the US, but perhaps someone could enlighten me if I should buy this bunch or not ? I could get it for about $ 20.00 I guess.

Thanks a lot

Ron

post-2885-0-49591100-1445456364_thumb.jp

I would buy it,also for a bit more.

They are not all European marbles,I think the majority is American made,may be a few Amsterdam swirls,can't tell for sure from that picture.

Hi Winnie

That's good to know, thank you very much for your help !

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I got the bunch. Even as a handmade-collector I have to admit that some of these machine-mades are really pretty !!! But I have no clue if some of these are special or not. So I am looking for some advice. I took some pictures of the ones I think look special, a group of opaques and a group of translucent.

Here are the opaque pics:

post-2885-0-44837100-1446992214_thumb.jp

post-2885-0-00237300-1446992227_thumb.jp

Lots of nice stuff. Near the big light blue boulder, slightly to its lower right is an Akro oxblood carnelian that looks good. There are others here too....slags, maybe some transitionals, and pelts and other Akro corks. I'd say, if it is as nice as it appears, that you got a deal. Always hard to tell without them in hand.

Just for the historical narrative, I started to single out one amber slag. That appears to be M.F.Christensen, i.e., one of the first American machine-made marbles.

But then I widened my screenshot to take in that Akro oxblood John mentioned. That one could be worth what you spent on the whole lot (or more). A nice way to start an American machine-made collection.

post-279-0-06251700-1447002679_thumb.jpg

The big translucent with red is an Akro Moss Agate (more common collector's name: Akro Ace). I think the blue boulder will likely turn out to be a Peltier Rainbo.

Not saying worthless at all. Just not so easy to pick things to comment on out of big groups.

I think there is a Peltier NLR near the bottom right here. Nickname: Ketchup and Mustard.

post-2885-0-00237300-1446992227.jpg

Also a Vitro Tri-Lite at the very bottom.

Also some Peltier Peerless Patches elsewhere in the mix.

So far, all I see is American.