Lemonade Oxblood Tea Set

JerryG

I've been picking up pieces of this set over the years. Yesterday's addition was the little bowl at bottom left. With the bowl, a complete set would be 21 pieces, but I'll be glad if I can get a single setting. Cup, saucer, plate, bowl, tea pot and lid, sugar bowl and lid and creamer. That means just 5 more pieces. And noticed this morning taking this picture that there's a spiral of oxblood on the bottom of the plate. That would seem to indicate that the oxblood was laid down by hand.

AkroLemonadeOxbloodTeaSet.jpg

What a wonderful quest!

Oh ... I see the spiral now.  Brown on this side of the plate, right?  The pattern really does look like it would have been swirled there by hand ... like a cake decoration.

5 hours ago, JerryG said:

Hadn't thought of that. I had thought that most of these Akroware stuff was later in their history, but I guess they could be handgathered.

Akro was certainly making oxblood dishware until the end of their operations.  The dishware pile slightly uphill from the gate and on the right was clearly the last dump pile they contributed to.  It seemed to be mostly children's dish set pieces.

17 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

Early glass pieces were all made with a handgathered glob(not just marbles)   I think the earlier Akro pieces were hand gathered. 

naw maybe the first colors, which were done only in amber, blue and green. Maybe hand gathered I will ask Rog.. but  the lemonade..

and I quote.. “With the beginning of World War II, and the shortage for material, ‘Akro’ decided to reintroduce the glass children’s dishes.  This time they proved to be a great success….The original molds were changed to block molds, because they were cheaper and could be run on a mechanized line….