Submarines

2 hours ago, budwas said:

Thanks Jerry. Do you know how the came to be called submarines? 

Honestly, I don't know where the name came from. It's basically a collector name. Here's a discussion over on All About Marbles about submarines. The description I used (and it was confirmed) was:

Anyways, there are several different variations of a Peltier Submarine, they are all NLR'S!! NO RAINBO'S fall into this category. Your standard Peltier Submarine does NOT have a completely transparent base. They have a translucent base with "white" which im sure can vary on transparency. The white will look like the color of the base but it is in fact white that is sub surface. The Submarine most known online is the Blue based types with orange, which looks like a Superboy with a dark base. The base color can vary from Cobalt to Powder blue. There is also a green base with orange, blue base with yellow and a blue base with white which very few have been found.

1 hour ago, budwas said:

That's great Jerry, I'm so far away from civilization and the Internet here is very poor most of the time. Thank you so much!

Have to smile. My only contact with the internet is over dialup. And not by choice.

4 minutes ago, budwas said:

Alright, I feel much better now that I know I'm not alone in this world.. where are you? If I may?

Northwest Oregon. 1 mile up a dead-end gravel road. 3-4 miles from the end of cable TV. 9 miles from nearest city. Now that said, I wouldn't change my living conditions for anything. Love living in the country and while I do miss having fast connections, it gives me an excuse to go into town to some pubs I know with open wifi for a couple hours of beer, burgers and getting caught up. :)

1 hour ago, JerryG said:

Northwest Oregon. 1 mile up a dead-end gravel road. 3-4 miles from the end of cable TV. 9 miles from nearest city. Now that said, I wouldn't change my living conditions for anything. Love living in the country and while I do miss having fast connections, it gives me an excuse to go into town to some pubs I know with open wifi for a couple hours of beer, burgers and getting caught up. :)

If you get decent enough cell reception you can use it as a Hotspot from most smart phones

15 minutes ago, sclsu said:

If you get decent enough cell reception you can use it as a Hotspot from most smart phones

I do, but within reason. I'm actually grandfathered in to AT&T unlimited data plan, but I don't want piss anyone off. I used it when I *really* need a fast connection. Most of the time I survive just fine with dialup.