Lavender Slag / Swirl

ManofKent

I view white as the base color on this one.  That would take it out of slag contention for most purposes.

But I see why someone might think it has a clear base ... or "clear matrix".  "Matrix" is a word I have never fully understood in connection with marbles.  That might be a good question for the whole room. 

Okay ... stop rambling, Steph ....  whether that base is technically clear filled with a lot of white or white mixed with a little clear, we have a "swirl".

I think it's Veiligglas.

P.s. slags aren't usually described as having "ribbons".

If you're seeing some of the glass as taking the form of a distinct ribbon, that's one of the signs that we may be looking at a swirl.

.... just a thought which might help the slag vs. swirl distinction gel ....

34 minutes ago, Steph said:

P.s. slags aren't usually described as having "ribbons".

If you seeing some of the glass as taking the form of a distinct ribbon, that's one of the signs that we may be looking at a swirl.

.... just a thought which might help the slag vs. swirl distinction gel ....

Very useful  :) and putting it next to my Veiligglas (which I keep wanting to sell velliglass and anglicize :blush:) the ribbons look a good match.

7 hours ago, winnie said:

It could be Veiligglas or American made?

No specific traits to tell for sure.

Thanks - the lavender/purple glass is a perfect colour match for  a couple of larger Veiligglas that I've got. I don't know how good an indicator glass colour is? I've no idea how  standardized were glass recipes? 

It was the clear glass that distracted me - I saw it as a clear marble almost completely filled with white rather than a white base that has clear streaks in it. If I'd seen it as white base I'd have checked it against the other white based swirls.

Being completely unscientific it 'feels' right placed against the Veiligglas:

veiligglas.jpg

Thoughts appreciated.

34 minutes ago, winnie said:

You have it in your hand so you can compare the best with the other Veiligglas marbles and could be right,but beware there is a Vacor swirl that resembles very much this Veiligglas swirl.

Thanks Winnie - I'm fairly confident it's not Vacor (I hung on to a few Vacor from a mixed lot and whilst I couldn't guarantee I'd always spot them the finish and overall feel of the marbles seems relatively distinctive in the hand), and whilst I can't be sure that an odd more modern marble slipped in, the lot this swirl came in didn't have anything else newer than the mid 70's. I'm happy with it as probable Veiligglas. I'm increasingly realising that a fair bit of the collection will have to be prefixed 'probable' :)