question

winnie

These German marbles are both 7/8,they both have 2 seams (the seams are almost the same) the glass looks the same aswell.

One has a red transparant base with white stripes,the other has a blue transparant base  with white and red stripes.

What do you think are they both one and the same type or 2 different type's?

DSC01962 (Medium).JPG

DSC01967 (Medium).JPG

Hi Winnie 

I think the same family " Striped Transparents " It seems to me very uncommon to see 2 colour stripping  i think it may be on purpose as the Red is perfect to the pattern and not some front some back or mixed red and white colours in the same stripe 

But it is hard to know for sure other german marbles often have a thin red stripe in the pattern with handmades and machine mades so they did do it on purpose at times

I have no problem calling a german striped transparent with a transparent coloured base with 2 colour stripping a type 2 seems natural

What i do have a problem with is collectors calling them slags  Lol  but that is a story for another time :)

Craig 

On 2/24/2017 at 8:56 PM, slagmarble said:

The red 'slag' is the type I've always associated with the more well made Germans, maybe older?  Just my o

I'm not sure if there is much of an age difference between the 2 Winnie has shown but i belive there are some with bright glass and colour resembling  wirepulls 

I would have thought there would be no doubt on the Blue being a Striped transparent ?

with the Pattern & Tunnel can the Red still be a slag ?

I can't say whether it was a time period issue or a run issue but there are definitely differences in quality on German made.  The better ones closely resemble Christensen slags with the others having more washed out less vibrant transparent base glass color and a somewhat translucent white tending to be on the surface. 

If the red one is also a striped transparent then most Christensen Agate slags could be categorized that way.  If the blue one got a special designation instead to show that its not a slag because of that extra color then nothing else would have to change.  Or, if you own it you can call it whatever you like.

Yeah mate im with ya and agree i've seen a few Cac i would have said were Striped Trans for sale as Slags which derailed me a bit as i like this type and thought i had a bit of an idea about them but realize im not quite on the same page 

Thought this one shows some of the traits you have mentioned ;) not a very strong striped pattern i kinda put that down to production on the day ?

P3010010_zps2exiy3eu.jpg