1925 Marble Player Statue

I have put together a list of the 1925 tournament participants. I have located seven of the statues and can match six to the names on the list. The seven has the name of a newspaper publisher who was a strong supporter of the marble tournament. This site had a great discussion on the subject and reading online archives of the Binghamton Press, I think I have been able to reconstruct a partial story behind the statue. For now, my curiosity was peaked about whose statue survived.

• Like 1

When I had mine I did quite a bit of research, I can not find it. I believe 16 statues were given out in 25.  Mine was 1927. There was someone doing a bunch of research on the tournamant and he was going to write a book. Found this,  http://www.magwv.com/magmarble/kings_and_queens_of_the_ring.html It was Stan Flewelling that I was corresponding with

• Award 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 4/22/2017 at 5:50 PM, hdesousa said:

I have a couple - Amand T. Nichols and Joseph Hines

But don't know what year they were awarded.  How can you tell?

Let me know if you need pics.

Mr. Desousa, I'm a newbie on MC and recently found this older post from you. I can add some info about your trophies (if you still have them).

I recognized Joseph Hines' name right away. He was the 1925 champion of New Haven, CT and played in the 3rd NMT in Atlantic City that year. Hines (age 14) was one of the 64 contenders, all of whom received a "Marble Shooter" trophy. He was also one of just two African American kids to play in the 1925 Nationals. Hines didn't come close to reaching the semifinals.

The Nichols name was harder to track down, since none of the 1925 participants (or semifinalists in following years who got the trophies) had that name. Then I found "Armand T. Nichols" in some 1925 news reports from Atlantic City . He was described as the "Deputy Mayor" of A.C. and director that September of the 4th "Beauty Pageant" (Miss America). Nichols welcomed the marble champs to the city and started the first day off by playing an exhibition match against A.C.'s Rev. Robert A Elwood (who was helping run the NMT on behalf of the city). (The kids always had a blast watching adult officials playing the game they ruled.) Nichols beat Elwood 7-6, and it's likely that the NMT directors game him one of the "Marble Champion" trophies as a fun appreciation to him and the city.

• Like 2
  • Award 3