Thrift stores

DINDO

The big chain thrift has raised their prices to 5.99 a bag. From 2.99. I would get about 100 marbles on average about 10  more or less vints and 2 or 3 big modern 1s. The sally ann still at 1.99 bag. The mission at 1.49 bag. Cdn$ or take off 30% for US.  And i know alot of the money stays local with Sally or Mission.. my gripe is the big chain ..who gets this stuff donated and who knows where the money goes.

• Like 1

I don't remember ever finding marbles at a thrift store.  

I bought a couple of articles of clothing and a bookshelf at Goodwill today.  The clothes cost more than I would expect at a thrift store, but less than new and I liked them.  Goodwill gets a bad rap for how they use their money but I gather it's a regional problem and a friend of mine worked at the local Goodwill so I give them the benefit of the doubt and occasionally shop there.

I usually shop at St. Vincent de Paul (a Catholic chain) or a big store downtown which seems not to be part of any chain.  

I have no idea where any of the money goes.  Maybe some day I'll ask. 

The big 1 is Value Village here.  I understand costs go up but to double seems extreme.  There not cheap for anything.  They have also become good at pilfering the good stuff and ebaying it. The Sally is cheap so i always leave a buck or 2 in the donation jar. I asked once and was told after costs half the money goes to the local food banks. The Mission is cheap and i assume helps churches out... i should ask.

I don't donate to goodwill they keep to much of the money. I support the salvation army almost all of the money is spent locally. Checkout how much money the top people make at goodwill and then check out how much the people make at the salvation army. there are also good local charities that run shops  and put all of the money back in the local community.

• 1 year later...