Marbles Are Like Rabbits!

I'm not sure where all the marbles came from, but I didn't realize that I have so many.  Nothing extremely valuable, just  a lot.  They just seemed to keep multiplying, like rabbits!!!  I just like buying jars of the stuff. My husband said that I need to focus.  LOL!  So I was wondering, maybe I should start a coin jar, and save up for something awesome.  I was thinking of maybe a green brick, or a heavily flamed marble.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Maybe I will post something for this. 😉

Most all of us started this way, more marbles, more marbles. But with time that changes for the majority. Sometime you will decided a certain marble you want, probably more than any you have paid for yet. You will get it and then ,move on to the next. As you get more experienced, some day ahead you will decided that you have to many or to many of the same thing. You will thin your early marbles down and focus more on quality and rare. But a few collectors never do this and are happy just collecting what catches their eye. Some collectors may have ten of the exact same $100.00 each marbles. The majority in time find one, two or three companies that they like and collect only those. Some collect only one single company, some collect only handmades or contemporary.  But the majority like collecting a assortment. Collecting is learning, you always find that marble that you want to know more about. There are a lot of marbles to learn. It can last a lifetime. You will most likely change directions a few or several times collecting marbles.

Lots of people could make suggestions of what to goal for. But that may depend on what they like or collect. Some like $1.00 marbles, some like $10.00 marbles, some like $100.00+ marbles. Some collect them all. Just make the goal attainable and what you like. Once you reach that, then it is time for another. There is a very wide variety of marbles and variety of people interested in collecting them, learning them and their history. All reasons collecting marbles has many different rewards for each collector. You may find that you also collect some long time very good friends while collecting marbles. 

Collect what you like. Change what you collect as you like.  

The thing about lotsa marbles: You always have sumthin' to pick through. When there is a rainy day or any other reason, dump a jar and look at 'em all again.  You will find that besides the entertainment, you will find something you didn't know you had, either because you now know more about marbles, or it was simply overlooked before. Thanks

Bruce

Currently, for me, it seems to be like collecting is an investigative challenge.  I'm looking through my marbles and sorting out the ones that I can id and the ones that I can't or am not sure about.  For the ones that in question, I make my best guess from what I know, then I post what I think and ask for help.  I'm happy if I can narrow a marble down to three companies and find out from you seasoned collectors that it belongs to one of the three. LOL.

The best part of misidentifying a marble is that I learn a lot from all the info that you all give me.  I think one day I will try to get my hands on a green brick or a really flaming marble--long term goal. When covid is manageable, I will find a marble show where I can at least admire all the super rare collectible ones. Thanks EVERYONE! (And thanks wvrons and Bruce for the responses!)

I somehow ended up with a very enjoyable box of old German handmades and related older marbles.   Wasn't intentional. I just had a single box that I would put them in when I very occasionally got one.  Then lo and behold, it got full, and I could go to the attic right now and open it up and  find marbles that would surprise me this very day to find out that I do have one of those after all.