Speaking of facets . . . years ago, I got lucky and found this original.

Ric-Idar-Oberstein1834.thumb.jpg.04e6cd29c8d7df918a8720bf1bdceb40.jpg

View of town Oberstein, bridge and Crag Church, and view of the agate and jasper gemstone polishing mill. Hand-colored steel engraving from Felix-Edouard Guerin-Meneville's Picturesque Dictionary of Natural History, Paris, 1834.

"Absolutely Bruce" some I have look machine made, people seen them & said they where to perfect, but they have a much different shine, that's what made me bust out the loupe and check for facets. These guys making them didn't have an extended life expectancy, the dust from the agates, and the stone went in their lungs but didn't come out. Contributing to I suppose a variety of lung problems they where unaware of at the time. There was no OSHA coming around making sure you had your mask on.

"Great pics Ric" I guess some of them actually laid down on their stomach on a 35 deg. inverted board to give them the capability to work longer instead of getting sore backs, don't know if it's true or not but supposedly that's where the term " Putting Your Nose to the Grindstone" came from