I have a few hand made examples, please post yours if you have them. 1 mica, 1 glazed clay and 1 banded agate. Most of these just came along w/  lots I bought a while back, the mica and a couple other's are extremely small, I've probably dropped them @ least 50 time's, thank goodness always on carpeting.

Thanks,

Chad G.

DSC01524.JPG

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01526.JPG

DSC01527.JPG

DSC01529.JPG

DSC01534.JPG

DSC01535.JPG

DSC01538.JPG

DSC01539.JPG

I always thought there were lotsa' peewee hand mades  'cause they didn't get used that much. A little small and light to use in a game so they seem to be relatively plentiful and in pretty good shape as well. Not really a scientific observation though. Thanks 

Bruce

I don't know about quantities.  I'm pretty sure they've long been popular.  The "peawee" name was around at least by the late 1800's.  (Another name for them was "pony alley" at that time.)

For what it's worth!  LOL

I think probably yes to kids with smaller hands. 

I don't have a feeling about target marbles.  

And I don't know about the boardgame situation in the 1800's.  I know of "mosaic" games from the early 1900's, which was like an early lite-brite.   I don't know if that game went back to the 1800's.

The only games I've seen them on is the small general Grant boards, both wooden & imitation I think I have some pics, hang on a sec. I'll look ( found them ) these are pics from an old Ebay sale, I've seen several small one's like this sell, the only one I've seen in person was a small solitaire game but the board wasn't wood. I can't for the life of me remember what it was made of, the box and everything was there, he wanted $300.00 for it so I shied away. Looking back I probably should have purchased it, some black in the ribbon core's and a few other thing's not real common to old hand mades, yes, every marble was a pee-wee looked as if they where possibly the orig. mibs, no fleas etc. I was tempted. Here's the pics. All German pee-wee, and look's like that's about as big as you can go on this board, I believe it sold for right around $175.oo this was several year's ago so just my best guess. It only came w/ 12 mobs not complete like the one I seen w/ 32., all ribbon core, these appear to be substitute's. Wish I had this board full of orig. very small but quite detailed. I love it !! I could only find one more, this one from Worth point.

b4.PNG

b5.PNG

b.PNG

b2.PNG

b3.PNG

b6.PNG

Another antique  pee-wee game board, wish I had seen it before it sold. Looking @ the paint and the way the wood grain goes I believe it's the same board I have listed above that sold on Ebay 3-4 years ago w/ some pee-wee's.. Look @ the chip second pic then look @ the last pic above w/ the tape measure, we have an exact match, tells me not that many this size floating around, think I'll just make one. Much cheaper and I already have the German pee-wee's to fill it.

image.thumb.png.8e935213201e51b796a21de58d2a3af9.png

image.thumb.png.1192c01d44776dda8e426a8199354269.png

Il 6/10/2020 alle 03:48, Berryb ha detto:

A cosa servivano? Piccolo, quindi un obiettivo più difficile? Bambini con mani più piccole? C'erano giochi che usavano solo peewee? Mi sono chiesto spesso. 

Bruce

There were very  here too, in the 70s ... but they weren't used precisely, .... too small for the game

I tend to believe these small marbles where made for the board in the first place. 99 % of these banded lutz mibs where made between 1880 and 1910,I do a general dating of my Germans by the pontils , i.e. a melted pigtail on one end and an unfinished pontil on the other end or both ends unfinished = ( 1880-1910 ), one faceted end and the other unfinished or melted = ( 1850-1880 ) not 100 % correct all the time but close. Between 1880 and 1910  many of the hand made where being produced for the "English game board mkt." , probably a link between the two somewhere?? " Which came first the chicken or the egg" I'm sure someone knows, I'm just going by the general production date of the marble and what the mkt. was @ the time.  The "so called English gameboard marbles " where still being made in Germany but being made for the game boards. A general reduction in size and brighter colors also marked the change on top of the "unfinished pontils" like Steph's banded lutzes. These boards are so small you couldn't fit anything much bigger than a pee-wee on it, 5 x 6 inches is pretty small, 32, 5/8ths mibs wouldn't even fit on the board. The history of the solitaire board is extensive, I spent a couple hours researching.

image.png.8c5d5c1f687396aa9968c7cf8cfb2e94.png

The way I understand the board was here way before the German pee-wees, pegs first then clays then finally glass.

I found another board w/ original marbles intact, coreless swirls all .50 or smaller ( pee-wee ) on a small general grant board. These pee-wee marbles where made for the game. There are smaller Victorian era board's like the first few  General Grant's I posted, an almost pocket size rendition.

image.thumb.png.d6d5db6829f92fd22780b4087a58d809.png

image.png.26de73c43c123766890e2d4411221cde.png

image.png.92ed3ad1386ff1982be268a8c57ab02a.png

I'm almost positive they where produce exclusively for those game's. The extremely small .50 or less and rough unfinished pontils made them useless for almost anything else, no shooting this one, and if you did you could never get it to roll straight because of the rough pontils. 

14 ore fa, Chad G. ha detto:

Sono quasi sicuro che producano esclusivamente per quei giochi. I piccolissimi .50 o meno ei pontili grezzi non finiti li rendevano inutili per quasi qualsiasi altra cosa, non sparare a questo, e se lo facessi non potresti mai farlo rotolare dritto a causa dei punti grezzi. 

Right opinion, interesting!

And the Big ones, 1 and up, maybe played like this as shown in the 1948 image ....

4632105128_420x288.jpg