Gone Fishin !!

Chad G.

2 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I bet those "suckers" taste good too, people just assume they don't because their bottom dwelling scavengers, "like sturgeon " ?? Sturgeon has to be one of the tastiest white fish next to Halibut or Sole I've ever tasted, fish n chips here I come !! Man, sucker or no wish I was there !! The Deschutes Steelhead trip is still up in the air for next week, a "last stab"  at fishing before Winter sets in.

Actually, they don't taste very good at all. They are basically a carp, and some folks do like smoked carp, but I think it depends on the species? They are considered an invasive species around here and generally get thrown back or used for cut bait. This fish has even made it inland too the trout streams! I've even seen some people just throw them in the woods for the critters! The last day out there is 31st, then they shut down until the Spring. Not sure if I will be back out there this month again or not? We'll see! 

40 minutes ago, William said:

Actually, they don't taste very good at all. They are basically a carp, and some folks do like smoked carp, but I think it depends on the species? They are considered an invasive species around here and generally get thrown back or used for cut bait. This fish has even made it inland too the trout streams! I've even seen some people just throw them in the woods for the critters! The last day out there is 31st, then they shut down until the Spring. Not sure if I will be back out there this month again or not? We'll see! 

We have red horse here in the Columbia mainstem. They spawn in the creeks and streams feeding on other fishes eggs afterwards, they are native to this area, I never ate them but have tried just about everything else. Brown river carp are OK, I had some smoked and then canned and it actually tasted a bit like fall run Salmon, fall run being the less tasty of the years runs. Yeah they turn red during and then completely back at the end of spawn, probably where they got their name ??

• 3 weeks later...

Patty's sister Stacey pulled in a monster today at the fishing float...not as big as the 71 pounder she pulled in earlier this year but it still put up one heck of a fight! I couldn't pull the video from her phone, but it's of the fish getting pulled in by 2 people in the net and Stacey shaking her arm trying to get the feeling back!

image000000016.jpg

image000000015.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, William said:

Patty's sister Stacey pulled in a monster today at the fishing float...not as big as the 71 pounder she pulled in earlier this year but it still put up one heck of a fight! I couldn't pull the video from her phone, but it's of the fish getting pulled in by 2 people in the net and Stacey shaking her arm trying to get the feeling back!

image000000016.jpg

image000000015.jpg

I should say, this was caught yesterday, around 4pm. Halloween weekend is the last weekend the Fishing Float is open so pretty happy she pulled in a big one! Wish I could have been there!

16 hours ago, William said:

I should say, this was caught yesterday, around 4pm. Halloween weekend is the last weekend the Fishing Float is open so pretty happy she pulled in a big one! Wish I could have been there!

I'd be there for the fish n chips for sure "Yuuuum"

6 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I'd be there for the fish n chips for sure "Yuuuum"

As you probably know, this big guy can't attend the party...he's of variety of Sturgeon that they require us to "revive" down on the shoreline and release. Hopefully someone carried him for her! From where I saw her catch it, it's quite a few steps back to the rear of the Float where the baithouse and scale are! Knowing Stacey, I bet she did it.

6 hours ago, William said:

As you probably know, this big guy can't attend the party...he's of variety of Sturgeon that they require us to "revive" down on the shoreline and release. Hopefully someone carried him for her! From where I saw her catch it, it's quite a few steps back to the rear of the Float where the baithouse and scale are! Knowing Stacey, I bet she did it.

Didn't know that William, we have white & green sturgeon here. All green sturgeon must be released unharmed in the water(they're on the endangered species list so a big fine for taking them out of the drink) We have to use barbless hooks so it's usually very easy. On the White sturgeon we have a yearly quota now, barbless hook only and only on certain days, the size slot is 45" - 52". When was a kid it was barbed hooks and the size limit was 36" - 6 foot, 3 per day, now we get only 2 per year. They used to be considered garbage fish and when the salmon fishermen caught them in their nets they dispatched them w/ a sledgehammer. Some of the best eating fish in the river, they range from here to Alaska and have even been caught over near Japan, so most are ocean going but always return to fresh water to spawn. Drat, probably good eating too !!

43 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Didn't know that William, we have white & green sturgeon here. All green sturgeon must be released unharmed in the water(they're on the endangered species list so a big fine for taking them out of the drink) We have to use barbless hooks so it's usually very easy. On the White sturgeon we have a yearly quota now, barbless hook only and only on certain days, the size slot is 45" - 52". When was a kid it was barbed hooks and the size limit was 36" - 6 foot, 3 per day, now we get only 2 per year. They used to be considered garbage fish and when the salmon fishermen caught them in their nets they dispatched them w/ a sledgehammer. Some of the best eating fish in the river, they range from here to Alaska and have even been caught over near Japan, so most are ocean going but always return to fresh water to spawn. Drat, probably good eating too !!

The Sturgeon above is what they refer to as the "Lake" Sturgeon. Gotta put them back. The Sand and Shovelnose Sturgeon, we can keep those.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:46 AM, William said:

I'm debating about going the last day, which is Halloween Sunday. There supposed to have a Halloween party during the day. Don't know. Gotta think about it. Be a chilly morning! 

The clock is tickin, Hmm, last day, let's see ?? Marbaholic or Fishaholic ?? The tension builds   :badgrin:

The clock is tickin, Hmm, last day, let's see ?? Marbaholic or Fishaholic ?? The tension builds   :badgrin:

I probably won't. But today is Mib day (hopefully). Up in Winona and were going to hit "Treasures Under Sugar Loaf" after her pt appointment. Thinking I might try out my fishing honey hole in Houston,Minnesota before the snow flies though!

14 hours ago, William said:

I probably won't. But today is Mib day (hopefully). Up in Winona and were going to hit "Treasures Under Sugar Loaf" after her pt appointment. Thinking I might try out my fishing honey hole in Houston,Minnesota before the snow flies though!

Yeah !!  Is that the one you first posted fishin pics of  with the Crappie?? Probably freezes solid during the hard of Winter ?? The big Crappie really turn on the bite in a local lake here. I know usually they turn off in the Winter and become lethargic elsewhere around here but not at Silver lake for some reason. The perch really turn on too. Not big fish but a good time & good eats, way better than sitting at home and mildewing.

A few links for Silver lake, only a 15 min. drive from here.

LINK :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VGoHdq2Z9g

LINK :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9gIQji22d8

Duh !! I posted this hours ago but forgot to save it !!!

image.png.2bed3bc668c561b9b24f27c0d5040541.png

Yeah !!  Is that the one you first posted fishin pics of  with the Crappie?? Probably freezes solid during the hard of Winter ?? The big Crappie really turn on the bite in a local lake here. I know usually they turn off in the Winter and become lethargic elsewhere around here but not at Silver lake for some reason. The perch really turn on too. Not big fish but a good time & good eats, way better than sitting at home and mildewing.

A few links for Silver lake, only a 15 min. drive from here.

LINK :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VGoHdq2Z9g

LINK :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9gIQji22d8

Duh !! I posted this hours ago but forgot to save it !!!

image.png.2bed3bc668c561b9b24f27c0d5040541.png

Yep, that's the place with the little bridge. And she freezes pretty solid. We went out there last winter when Patty's son and girlfriend were ice fishing there. Pulled in some nice Crappie. I'm not big on ice fishing but it was fun. It's only about 10-12 feet I think in it's deeper areas but the variety throughout the year is great. 

1 hour ago, William said:

Yep, that's the place with the little bridge. And she freezes pretty solid. We went out there last winter when Patty's son and girlfriend were ice fishing there. Pulled in some nice Crappie. I'm not big on ice fishing but it was fun. It's only about 10-12 feet I think in it's deeper areas but the variety throughout the year is great. 

I think the "bears" found all my honey holes except maybe one !!