Gone Fishin !!

Chad G.

14 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Yesir, walleye is Deeliciouse !!  :)  :thup: !!   As long as you get your cut !!

Brother in law is getting his Black Bass fillet today along with some bonus Catfish fillets which will go well with his Budweiser beer battered Jumbo 🍤

7 hours ago, William said:

Brother in law is getting his Black Bass fillet today along with some bonus Catfish fillets which will go well with his Budweiser beer battered Jumbo 🍤

The lucky dog !!!  Bass ... Jumbo ... catfish ... batter .... Hulk Smash ....  image.png.9684a206a8f233843d76d60959052e5b.png .....  :badgrin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chad G. said:

The lucky dog !!!  Bass ... Jumbo ... catfish ... batter .... Hulk Smash ....  image.png.9684a206a8f233843d76d60959052e5b.png .....  :badgrin:

Delivery accomplished! He was just leaving too go check out a vintage El Camino a buddy of his had delivered from Florida then returning home to fry his fish!

13 minutes ago, William said:

Delivery accomplished! He was just leaving too go check out a vintage El Camino a buddy of his had delivered from Florida then returning home to fry his fish!

Delivery ! ... Fish! ... Fry! ...  El Camino ! ... Florida ! .... Grrrreen  !!!!!!!!   I see the fine art of human torture hasn't gone by the wayside !!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Delivery ! ... Fish! ... Fry! ...  El Camino ! ... Florida ! .... Grrrreen  !!!!!!!!   I see the fine art of human torture hasn't gone by the wayside !!

As far as being green goes, my score last week plus that Tiger's Eye orb I nabbed yesterday kept the blood pressure and heart rate in check 😁

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

The IUCN recently updated their list of endangered species and 100% of all 26 remaining species of Sturgeon are in danger of being extinct.

That's up from 85% in 2009.

I remember last year people were actually keeping Sand and Shovelnose Sturgeon, while the Lake Sturgeon and others were always "resuscitated" and placed back into the river.

I haven't been fishing on the river yet this year, but I bet they are ALL getting put back now....

You can still keep white sturgeon here w/ a size slot of between 48" and 54" anything above or below that must be released w/ all green sturgeon released immediately. I believe we get about 8 days a year to fish for them & a 2 a year limit w/ some really funky hours of daylight to 2pm (their non feeding hours of course) I haven't been fishing this year either, license is good fore a year & runs from March to March, alot of health stuff going on getting in the way. When I was a kid the size slot for whites was 36" to 72" (3 foot to 6 foot) with a daily bag limit of 3. Years before my childhood they were considered trash fish, I keep forgetting I'm getting a little older now !!

8 hours ago, Chad G. said:

You can still keep white sturgeon here w/ a size slot of between 48" and 54" anything above or below that must be released w/ all green sturgeon released immediately. I believe we get about 8 days a year to fish for them & a 2 a year limit w/ some really funky hours of daylight to 2pm (their non feeding hours of course) I haven't been fishing this year either, license is good fore a year & runs from March to March, alot of health stuff going on getting in the way. When I was a kid the size slot for whites was 36" to 72" (3 foot to 6 foot) with a daily bag limit of 3. Years before my childhood they were considered trash fish, I keep forgetting I'm getting a little older now !!

Yeah, same here. I'm pretty sure I can cast but my left shoulder and chest area still is experiencing occasional numbness. Kinda tough when I can't feel my muscles there!

I actually hurt my shoulder after a couple weeks at home trying to open a window. Yanked it up without thinking and pulled the heck out of it. Can't tell if my muscles were relaxed or at the ready when the area is numb! (That's what I get for not thinking before acting!)

I'm just afraid that I my upper body couldn't hold up too a potentially long battle with a sizable fish. Takes the fun out of it for me because I want to do the work, not hand my rig over to someone else!

Think I will stick to trout and panfish when I do go. The river Float closes at the end of October so hopefully this numbness subsides by then. It's been almost 3 months (April 26th) since the surgery! That itch too fish needs scratched!

After reading about these fish kills going on around here in my area of the state, actually my county, I figured I would visit one of my local fishing holes. 

Still haven't fished yet this year but thinking soon! A really cool takeaway from getting these pics was watching a Kingfisher in action 😊

20220805_100520.jpg

16597122193728631910263063180257.jpg

16597123244964999425439703089959.jpg

16597124518684318746113110593211.jpg

• Like 1

Some more pics...this place is also known for its shooting range. I've seen guys bring pretty much any type of weapon imaginable out here too shoot some rounds. From competitors of the sport too your average hunter getting in some practice, it's the place. I've only shot once down here, back in 2019, an AR-15 and a 357 Magnum.

And finally a collective sigh of relief as I have spotted some nice Brown trout! They were too quick for a picture but good too know all is well thus far. I'm sure the Rainbows are in there too!

20220805_103347.jpg

20220805_102818.jpg

20220805_102736.jpg

20220805_102720.jpg

20220805_102603.jpg

20220805_102550.jpg

20220805_102541.jpg

20220805_102324.jpg

20220805_102319.jpg

20220805_102146.jpg

20220805_102057.jpg

20220805_101953.jpg

20220805_101937.jpg

20220805_101836.jpg

27 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Sounds like ya better get em while the gettins still good ?? Gonna be gone on a trip myself most of the day today,  Happy hunting, I mean fishing  :)

Yeah, this trout stream you see here runs the whole county pretty much. From here outside Mabel it goes through Choice and Riceford, then afterwards through Rushford, Peterson and Lewiston. All these little waterways are interconnected somehow or another with the Root River, which is connected too the Mississippi River. The Root River also flows down into the northern counties of Iowa.

Just now, William said:

Yeah, this trout stream you see here runs the whole county pretty much. From here outside Mabel it goes through Choice and Riceford, then afterwards through Rushford, Peterson and Lewiston. All these little waterways are interconnected somehow or another with the Root River, which is connected too the Mississippi River. The Root River also flows down into the northern counties of Iowa.

Like they stated, everything gets pretty diluted over time and doesn't travel very far (meaning pesticides, etc.), but it's only a matter of time before it happens right here in and around town?

1 hour ago, William said:

watching a Kingfisher in action 😊

Good to hear about a Kingfisher, they took a bad hit from DDT just as the Bald Eagles did. I saw one just lately myself.

They used to be quite common when I was a kid. I love the woodpecker-like noise that they make.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went frogging for Largemouth Bass yesterday for a few hours. I was shown a secret spot just across the state line, down a gravel road. It was called Hawk's Pond.

Actually, it's quite large for a pond. And it took about a 20 minute hike through the woods too get too it. Man, was it ever overgrown! The pathway was still there, but it was easily evident that it seldom was used. 

We had some strikes but couldn't hook any, but still was a fun afternoon. I can only imagine how big some of these fish are in there. It was dug and stocked years ago by an area farmer. From what I gather, his hope was that it would get fished after he passed. Doesn't look like it's happening much at all.

This pond, more like a small lake, was created back in the 50's or 60's I think. There's also a spring that runs parallel to it. I even came across a tree that had grown through a discarded tire, completely filling it! Also found some old barbed wire with porcelain fittings.

I will provide pics next time!

• Like 1
  • Award 1