Gone Fishin !!

Chad G.

6 hours ago, William said:

How'd it go today...are ya firing up the fry pan? 👨‍🍳 🐟

Good thing I got half of fish the other day, no-one caught "anything" Everybody on the beach is usually limiting out this time of year. The steelhead re going by, but aver since the heatwave the water is already at the end of August temps and they won't hit anything, lethargic I guess, warm oxygen less water has them dummied up !! The one my buddy caught yesterday flopped around a couple ties and he reeled it in skimming across the water. Steelhead are known for their fight, jumping, taking line, generally going psycho, yesterday !! "nothin" gave up the goat right off the bat. We put it directly into the ice chest to keep it fresh until we got it home. Anyway still having fish dinner tonight,  & still a great day on the beach !! 

image.png

Pfff !! yeah, I angled my body a little differently after the alarm went off and proceeded to count them in my head. Not the best of day's . I got alot done today though & even had time to take a friend to the Dr. so all in all good day. The Friend & I are going tomorrow, I told him I needed backup so I didn't crawl back into the sack at 3:30 tomorrow mornin.

image.png.740c5861201170bc8c467fe764ded718.png

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, William said:

Some of the fish caught today, me with my Lake Sturgeon! Saw some big flathead catfish caught by some folks upwards of 15 pounds or more. Good day so far 😁

20210815_081353.jpg

20210815_081358.jpg

20210815_084523.jpg

20210815_085251.jpg

image000000006.jpg

What a lucky dog !!  Nice fish Brother !!

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

What a lucky dog !!  Nice fish Brother !!

It was a little over 25 pounds...the gal you see holding the Sheepshead and the Shovelhead Sturgeon is Patty's sister Stacey. She has the Best Dam Fishing Float record for the same kind of Sturgeon I caught which weighed 68 pounds. Just got home, fun day! Definitely think we're going next Sunday. Hope you checked out the Website 😊

Yeah, really cool place! Everything you see in the pictures is built on a float system. The little house you see is a nice lounging area complete with tables and chairs. The walls are covered with all the great catches made there, the owners grill burgers for lunch. $20 a person too fish all day from 7am until 5pm, and $1 gets you all the coffee you want in the morning. The boat you see pictured, piloted by Captain Tom, makes pickups and drop offs from one side of the river to the other every hour. A $500,000 investment by 2 brothers that simply is an awesome time. Besides the big flathead and Sturgeon, I got to see a young kid bring in a monster Northern pike at least 36"-40" long! Can't wait until next weekend!

Well deserved 5 Star rating in my opinion. Yes, they do have some on sight rules and restrictions but they are necessary. The few that complained in the reviews are the ones who can't have their way. For example, one pole per person. On a busy day you couldn't have one person with 3 lines out or a few people taking up one whole side. Plus I was told that people would do that then walk away leaving their gear unattended. If you've ever fished before, lots of reasons you don't do that! Another gripe was the cost. Really. Sure, go find a spot that's going to put you out on the deep water in a comfortable, snag free, bug free environment along the Mississippi. Have too cover operating costs. $20 for all day well worth not dealing with bugs, logs, rocks, mud, etc. And people in their own boats should feel lucky that the business even lets them bring their craft in as close as they do. Some even port and come on for the food! Captain Tom is your typical barnacle encrusted water dog with a great sense of humor that some just wouldn't understand 😊 If anyone is ever in the area and loves to fish stop in! By the way, there is a bait shop on the Minnesota side where you get picked up by the boat, up by the parking lot with a great selection for river fishing!

I will get alot more pics next weekend! Loved the Pelican flyover, alot closer than they appear! Another great moment of the day was seeing a resident Bald Eagles diving for fish then landing on a nearby shore with their catch. The whole Float erupted in applause when one eagle dropped his fish but quickly circled back and recaptured it. Awesome! And the view is great anywhere you look. Happy Monday everyone!

20210815_101140.jpg

20210815_082903.jpg

20210815_072611.jpg

20210815_072517.jpg

Yep, 29 Lock and Dams total covering the states of Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. And from what I could quickly gather, almost all of them have some sort of fishing Float or Barge service. Nice little "stairway of water" from South too North. From Minnesota to Missouri, it's a steady 420 drop in the river, with the Lock and Dams serving as "stairs"  for vessels too make the climb coming North. If anyone here is within driving distance and loves to fish, I suggest you try one of these places. It's some of the best fishing you'll find in the midwest. Sturgeon, Walleye, Bluegill, Bass, Muskie, Northern Pike, Catfish, Sauger, etc. Great variety and they get big 😊👍

• Like 1