1" Dark Blue Slag w/ Debris

Fuzzy Chubbs

This "shooter" really stands out, there is some debris in the glass that creates a nice effect; reminds me of a galaxy/nebula.  Is this kiln dust/wash?  I remember reading about debris sometimes mixing into the glass, but don't recall the exact term.  Furnace dust/wash?

The shape is very uneven and noticeably imperfect in-hand.  I added two back-light photos with varying degrees of light penetrating, but the non-backlight photos shoe the truest colors.  Also, I don't notice any pontil marks; although there are a few fingernail-like impressions that seem to have been left when the glass was still hot but considering the debris and uneven sphere shape I think these just may be additional mistakes.

Hoping someone can share directions towards IDing this puppy, I know slags can be quite difficult.

One of my favorites from gramps' collection!

Dark Blue Slag With Kiln Dust 1inch.jpg

• Like 1

It does not, the base glass is definitely a homogenous dark-blue (no sparkle/shimmer) with the debris mixed in.  I will also mention that some of the debris is white and some is black; very small/fine specks.

I'm a bit familiar with modern borosilicate glass and it does not sparkle/glitter like what you'd find with Blue Stardust: https://frantzartglass.com/trautman-rod/blue-stardust-coe-33-trautman-art-glass-rod-622031.asp 

(Are external links okay?)

I think you may be right!  The marble in this post is VERY similar, just green instead of blue: 

So the debris is intentional, and aventurine?!  So cool!  I had really only considered/seen it used in a patch/swirl, never speckled like this.

Crushed opal glass is veeeery trendy in modern borosilicate glass art right now, this seems kind of like a 100 year old precursor.

• Like 1

@ just under 7/8ths with furnace brick all over in it and no av. a htf Alley but not a green giant for the lack of any av. Guess you have to be sure it's av and not just excess colorant or oven brick, can get a little sticky but the parameters are there to qualify or disqualify it as being one i.e. "size & the presence of actual av." Also the OP looks more Blue than green ??  maybe a Blue Giant if av is present and the size requirement is met. The "Blue Giant" is much more rare than the Green Giant is, either way a very HTF mib  ... :blink:

image.thumb.png.736c536fc43dd6e3b157ea83cbc9adfd.png

image.png.ae8491a69ad8299e4514669e15f58bee.png

image.thumb.png.e824992f8bd16376d2153e682862857d.png

image.png.d4416b8635d8eef47bb29b242916e838.png

image.png.12502d63ae6b89cd228c5cfe85d94b1a.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! 

Chad, your photo's swirls definitely seem more reminiscent of Alley.  The marble of my post has a much more skim-milk white and doesn't seem to traverse the marble as much. This also doesn't seem as 'swirly' as smaller alleys I've sorted.  Are Alley slag patterns similar to an Alley swirl pattern, sans-color?  Because now I'm questioning if it's Alley at all.

Re-measuring shows varying diameter of 29/32"-1", never quite down to 7/8".

"furnace brick" ty

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Chubbs said:

I think you may be right!  The marble in this post is VERY similar, just green instead of blue: 

So the debris is intentional, and aventurine?!  So cool!  I had really only considered/seen it used in a patch/swirl, never speckled like this.

Crushed opal glass is veeeery trendy in modern borosilicate glass art right now, this seems kind of like a 100 year old precursor.

This is what I was thinking as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Chubbs said:

Thanks for the input! 

Chad, your photo's swirls definitely seem more reminiscent of Alley.  The marble of my post has a much more skim-milk white and doesn't seem to traverse the marble as much. This also doesn't seem as 'swirly' as smaller alleys I've sorted.  Are Alley slag patterns similar to an Alley swirl pattern, sans-color?  Because now I'm questioning if it's Alley at all.

Re-measuring shows varying diameter of 29/32"-1", never quite down to 7/8".

"furnace brick" ty

I do agree w/  Alley for the I.D. on your O.P.  The swirl in mine is intense, most Alleys don't swirl near as much, I just liked it so I kept it, oven brick , pitting, flaws or not. Seems like when Alleys of this type get big, the pitting and flaws are quite common  & present on nearly all of them. as well as oven brick, debris, etc.

• Like 1

I think it is a Alley swirl. If Jolly Green Giant or Jolly Blue Giant the white will not be as wide or bright as many Alleys.  The white is usually more inside under the surface or deep. Some of the Giants have small pieces of furnace brick. The Giants are softer glass and usually show hit marks easy. They also can have lots of small bubbles which will be mixed with scattered aventurine. Some times they require a loupe to separate the bubbles and aventurine. The Jolly Green or Blue Giant can be over 7/8 inch. But I have never seen or heard of a 3/4 or 5/8 inch. If not a Jolly Green or Blue Giant ? I still think it is a Alley.  

• Like 1

Great info @wvrons!  I got a magnifying glass out and there seems to be both air bubbles and micro-flakes that shimmer; the white/black debris that shows in photo has no glint, only the super fine flakes and bubbles.  I can tell the difference between the bubbles and the flakes b/c the flakes have jagged edges, and there's many more flakes than bubbles causing the shimmer.  They seem to be throughout, from surface to core.

Would this be what you refer to as a "hit mark"? (The portion that distorts the light reflection)

IMG_2331.jpeg

I cannot tell if the mark is a chip or as made dimple ?  I cannot see the edges of the mark because of the reflection. If the edges around the mark are smooth it is a as made dimple. If it is jagged or rough then it is a chip. A normal hit mark is usually smaller and not as deep. With this picture the marble sure looks transparent blue.