Today's Saturday - I'm three days late

hdesousa

Oh, the great Egyptian craze after the opening of King Tut's tomb in 1922!!  Awesome!!!  And how lucky for them; they were in Cairo, West Virginia!  Perfect.  I have some other household items with the same Egyptian craze graphics and names.    Associating coffee with Egypt, a pyramid?  

Too cool!!

20220903_183348.jpg

• Like 2

That is my best guess. Many packaged marbles were a free give away if you bought another product. I remember a red white and blue cardboard 25 gallon drum setting between the local Esso gas station gas pumps. If you got a fill up of 15 or more gallons. A kid in the car got to scoop up one hand full of Marble King marbles from the drum for free. Lucky it was before my sister was born in 1959. So I was the only one to scoop up marbles. I was always watching Dad's truck gas gauge. He did not have to worry about getting low on gas. But then gas was about 20 cents a gallon, they pumped it, checked the oil and cleaned the windshield, plus free marbles. They wanted your business. Now they got us to do it all and not any free give aways. Just listen to us, it will be better for you. Use the self check out at Walmart. It will be better for us. Place your order on your phone or the screen at McDonalds. It will be better for you, easier and faster. No need for contact with a human. It will be better for you, easier, faster. 

I missed getting one of those MK red white and blue drums on Ebay a few years back. Have never seen another one. I should have bid double what I did.  Well maybe not ?  Not many people who would even know what it was or used for.  

About 95% of The Davis Marble Works marbles went to Puerto Rico. All in red mesh bags. If you bought a certain doll in Puerto Rico, you received a mesh bag of Davis swirl marbles for free. 

The soda pop bottle hangers were free marbles. I also helped Mom buy the soda pop back in the 1950's.  I could drink about any of it, if I got free marbles.  They wanted your or the parents business. Return the glass bottles for a refund, 2 cents, then 3 cents, then 5 cents. Then aluminum and now plastic will be better for you, easier and faster.  

Lots of free marbles stories. 

• Like 1