NOW, THEN & LATER

Chad G.

Sorry! I slept through what snow we did get, which isn't near what was forecast, and the wind didn't really pick up significantly until after hours last night. 

Nothing video-worthy. I did see a double rainbow on the way home from work, and what was cool was that both were huge and in different spots. One was in the southwest and the other northwest. And neither had any sort of curve. Just straight up until cut off. Would have been my only video perhaps but had my hands full with the crappy roads!

A frigid day, forecasted too be 6 degrees warmer today, up to a balmy-1 (and that's the air temperature)....

My back deck area...my neighborhood with my driveway in the foreground...a large red headed Woodpecker braving the temps and bitter wind chills for some suet...and underneath a chair by my backdoor a Dark Eyed Junco seeking shelter as it and others feed in the backyard. 

20221223_083101.jpg

20221223_083028.jpg

20221223_082908.jpg

20221223_082751.jpg

Well, 
We here have had Williams weather today.
I cleaned up the snow by guiding the snow-blower chute away from me and straight up to the 40 mile an hour winds that took it about 50 feet away into nothing. I actually worked up a sweat, too many layers?
After a shower, I went to refill my gas can, one layer, and about froze my butt off. The pumps were going so slow that I only got 2.5 gallons in my five gallon can. 
I used to go ice-fishing in this stuff without a worry—age is setting in. 
My driveway is cleaner than any road that I was on today—south facing black asphalt rules!
My dogs like to snuggle in this weather, just like a heating blanket next to you. I don’t mind a bit🐶.

I posted this story in the Christmas thread, but I think I will add the pictures here, as this accident was more than likely cold weather related. The old hardware store as it burned and what's left of it in Spring Grove MN...

I got off work and drove into Spring Grove see everything blocked off. I just received these pictures and videos from a friend who lives right behind Main Street, directly behind this stretch of buildings.

The video itself is kinda far away, it's as close as they would let anyone get as they had entire blocks sealed off. Plus it was freezing so it's from inside. 

First the pictures....all that's left. The hardware store actually consisted of two buildings joined together. The building you see frozen is the left hand side of the rubble. This is where Mulqueens Hardware sold its Napa auto accessories. 

I was told today that it started shortly before the lunch hour and that Spring Grove decided to try and fight it themselves. My goodness, why would you wait? Caledonia, about 8 miles too the east, they didn't get called until shortly after 3pm. I know this because I was outside starting my car when I heard and saw them heading west towards Spring Grove. Wow

Resized_received_1347930842703450.jpg

Resized_received_2542341585916884.jpg

Resized_received_574743631154454.jpg

• Sad 1

Having issues uploading the videos too this thread, but anyway one shows the smoke just billowing past through my friends backyard. And the other, taken after sundown, shows the smoke rising from the building. 

I was just told that 3 of the 5 apartments were rented out upstairs, a young man who worked at the Kwik Trip across the street, a couple, and a young girl. They all made it out but sadly some pets were lost in the fire. She just sent me this post....

Resized_Screenshot_20221223-155541_Messenger.jpg

• Sad 2

No snow here but solid ice outside, you can't even walk around. Supposed to stop ice raining and warm up sometime tomorrow. I haven't been anywhere, just watching everyone else slide around. Thank goodness no high wind so we still have power. Gonna be a lot of flooding after it warms up, solid rain for @ least 4 days afterwards w/ a very high freezing level so a good portion of the snow in the mountains will melt as well. Gonna try and get up early so maybe sme pix of the ice then ?? Bringing the dog out to do his business tonight is gonna be treacherous I'm surrounded by nothing but sidewalks. 

Stay safe out there Chad...don't need nor want you or the pup bouncing off the sidewalk! 

We still have the wind here, in fact it increased through the night, woke me up a couple times with that wicked howling! I can still hear all my wind chimes out back banging around all the way in the living room!  It's definitely a white out situation out in the open areas today I bet!