Never give up

SNYD

I hope this is not too long, I thought I would share an event that I thank God for. 

My wife Kim and I decided to take a day and travel to as many antique shops we could, going to northern New York state. We found tons of replica antiques, garage sale items and some good furniture. We stopped at eleven shops. From one room 10' x 10' rooms to three story buildings. Yes, we did find some marbles, very commons, damaged good ones, overpriced handmade and even some new mibs. We got as far north as we could, so we had time to get home to tend to our puppy dog ODIE. With such a disappointment we decided to take the direct route home. 

We were on the interstate about an hour and 20 minutes from home when we were going by a town and decided to swing off for one last check. We looked around and no marbles, I asked the owner if there were any marbles and he said no. As Kim searched for McCoy I talked with the owner about the antique business and how things have changed and the young people's low interest in old items. I told him about collecting marbles, going to shows and the great people you meet. I asked if any others stopped in for marbles and he said yes, there are two others that stop regularly. He asked how long I have collected and that he was very impressed with my manors, and he could tell I was truly interested in marbles. I gave him my card and Kim was holding the doorknob to open the door. I said have a great day and I would be back. As Kim started to open the door, he said wait a minute. I like you, your very respectful I'll tell you what, I have a huge tub full of jars at my house. I never brought them in for the other guys to go through because I do not feel I can trust them. Would you want to come back and go through the marbles and help me price them for selling and if you find ones you want, we can work something out for you helping. I said sure anytime, how many jars do you have. He said between 40 and 50, so I said it may take a whole day. He said he will get them and call me to come and go through them. 

The moral of the story, you never know when that special surprise will happen, so stay positive and greet it graciously no matter how big or how small. 

• Like 1
  • Award 2

Take them up on it for sure. I’ve had a few “Yah Yah” I’ll call you when I find them. But I had one that actually happened only because I called  them a few weeks after we met. 2 one quart ball jars with vintage marbles. Here’s to Dove Creek Colorado 🔥

Fingers crossed, 40-50 jars. Sure that will take a whole day.  You never know until you see them with your own eyes. I have sorted at least 25, 30 or more jars for a person more than once.  But very seldom found much over a $1.00 marble, maybe a few $10.00 ones. But it only takes one jar or one marble to make it worth the effort.  I sorted over a thousand for a man. He said I could have my choice. I did find three CAC marbles worth about $300.00-$400.00 each.  I offered to buy one or all. He pulled those three out and told me that I could have any one of the others for free. I left as most times empty handed.  He called me three years later with more marbles wanting me to sort them.  I just never could find time to help him with those. When I sort marbles for people, about one person out of each 25 or 30 will give me a free marble or let me buy some.  I have never attended any show the last 20+ years that I was not asked by people to identify from one to a thousand or more of their marbles. I have never identified every marble 100% correct.  But I have seen a lot of marbles. More than I ever thought possible.  Hopes this works out for you both.  It is nice to tell someone that they have a higher dollar marble. 

• Like 1