Popeye boxes info requested--Thanks

I Never could afford one and never got lucky—LOL---yet:wub:

I remember Popeye boxes that were claimed to be filled with Sparklers as original –“Oxbloods”as well—the fancy ones.

I will say this; I got the inspiration for this post from a seller on E-bay. I do not know him/her and this is not an attempt to draw attention to it. I do not ever try to sell or advocate buying from any one. It is a very nice pouch though—lol.

I am just looking for any info from the historical minds that this board has to offer.

Were “Popeye boxes” indeed filled with “Sparklers” or “Oxbloods”—Fact or Fiction?

I appreciate all opinions and relish them as a collector.

Thanks—and---

Marble—On!!

2 hours ago, akroorka said:

Were “Popeye boxes” indeed filled with “Sparklers” or “Oxbloods”—Fact or Fiction . . .

I don't think I've ever seen an Akro Popeye Box with just Sparklers or Oxbloods in it, but I'll bet more than one Mom filled them with whatever was on the floor.

• Haha 1

The ad I have for Popeye boxes had what appears to be oxbloods  (edited out my assumption that this ad was introducing Popeyes).  The ad was in black and white, so I realize there is some small window for doubt, but I do not doubt. 

And in this case I am certain the ad matched reality.   (I realize the ads don't always match reality.)  

• Like 1

From the September 1936 Playthings trade magazine.    I would be surprised to see Sparklers because I think 1936 is a little too late for them.  But I would like to see why others might think Sparklers were original to the boxes.  

1936_PopeyeBox.jpg

1936_PopeyeBox_zoomA.jpg

1936_PopeyeBox_zoomB.jpg

• Award 1

I have now searched, Art, and see the box on ebay with sparklers.  If it's the same one you saw, note the double ingot. I am guessing that double ingot wouldn't have gotten past Quality Control in the factory, so I'm going with backfilled on that one. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steph said:

From the September 1936 Playthings trade magazine.    I would be surprised to see Sparklers because I think 1936 is a little too late for them.  But I would like to see why others might think Sparklers were original to the boxes.  

Thanks Steph--great stuff. 
If you pay any attention to pouches like I do you would appreciate the fact that a few that you show in your images are really--really rare. 
The box that shows Wimpy and Swee' Pea—is rare as heck. These may have held some oxbloods or others.
I have a vision of sparklers included in a Popeye box—maybe just a dream—a nice one!
Thanks and---
Marble—On!!

6 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Thanks Steph--great stuff. 
If you pay any attention to pouches like I do you would appreciate the fact that a few that you show in your images are really--really rare. 
The box that shows Wimpy and Swee' Pea—is rare as heck. These may have held some oxbloods or others.
I have a vision of sparklers included in a Popeye box—maybe just a dream—a nice one!
Thanks and---
Marble—On!!

I had to look twice after your comment before I even saw that there were pouches in the box images.  That shows how little I pay attention to pouches.

I did read far enough into the sparkler box auction to see the pouch was a reproduction.  Is that what your "very nice pouch though--lol" up there meant?

3 minutes ago, Steph said:

Is that what your "very nice pouch though--lol" up there meant?

You caught my drift Steph--buyers beware- This is a very good repo and there are many more out there--excellant place holder though.

Read before you bid--I give this seller credit for the description. The pouches are harder to find than the boxes are.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

I like the small 10 cents and the large 25 cents.  That is what they were worth and very few kids were lucky enough to get one. It probably took a large store in larger cities a year to sell a carton. I never seen one or heard of one until the last twenty years. Marbles I bought in the 1950's at the dime store were three for a nickel. They were in small wood six inch squares about four inches deep. Each box had different color combos or styles. Or a 30 count bag for a quarter. Then the Cat Eyes arrived and they were more money.   

• Like 2

What I would like to find to check for dates is a folder I have somewhere of a Wisconsin newspaper column which had letters to Santa.  PDF files I copied from when I had access to newspapers.com  A whole lot of kids were asking for popeye boxes for Christmas.  :)   Need to check which year it was that they were "the in thing".