Ravenswood Transparent Swirl

Plutonianfire

In the historic archives on this site, I found an entire section on Ravenswood marbles by Marble Alan. It is noted that:

“Moving to transparent base glass Ravenswoods - the next type has a transparent emerald green base with jumbled white swirls throughout”.

“I cannot explain why they used vaseline glass in a minority of the run. In my experience, vaseline glass was not used by Ravenswood - although I have two opaque florescent types”

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/7584-ravenswood-novelty-marbles-a-review-of-varieties/

Please see attached photos.

78DB2B96-410A-463E-BA50-28E36D67C943.jpeg

10BB3CEC-35C3-4ABF-B9D7-9FAFA7A9A30E.jpeg

133769AF-8914-4721-94BF-9CFBB1A1A2E2.jpeg

0AB0A22A-5820-4C62-ABDB-0F60CF0B7447.jpeg

8541FE56-2C9E-4199-BDE3-E6C6BD73AD14.jpeg

2CFE4579-8783-4296-80F1-640B67087EBB.jpeg

F8C7ECD9-286C-4A63-8B5B-34B6FBD3114A.jpeg

What's interesting to me is that Josh posted in this thread and didn't suggest Jabo as a possibility for the OP.  That's one I was waiting to hear about.  If he doesn't see Jabo, I guess that bodes well for vintage at least.  

7 minutes ago, Steph said:

What's interesting to me is that Josh posted in this thread and didn't suggest Jabo as a possibility for the OP.  That's one I was waiting to hear about.  If he doesn't see Jabo, I guess that bodes well for vintage at least.  

I’m also guessing that most modern marbles aren’t made from depression glass??

45 minutes ago, Steph said:

Hahaha.  Of course there are JABOs like that too…but wasn’t even going to go there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plutonianfire said:

In the historic archives on this site, I found an entire section on Ravenswood marbles by Marble Alan . . .

I am not sure who made your marble but it doesn't impress me as Ravenswood, even though it might be. Every WV swirl maker produced simple transparent swirls, and many used UV reactive glass. Many times, an ID simply cannot be determined with any confidence. This isn't usually an issue because the collectible or monetary value of the marble won't really be affected regardless of who made it.

On another note, the article you cited from the archives was not written by Alan Basinet (Marble Alan).

5 minutes ago, Plutonianfire said:

Okay. So, there’s just no way to call it with any amount of certainty.

Actually, the fact that the white is UV reactive is EXTREMELY helpful in this situation.  I haven’t really even checked any of my simple transparent green swirls to see what’s UV reactive and what isn’t.